France / Spain Regulations??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattimus

Registered
Reaction score
Folks,

I am leaving on Saturday for a month in Europe.
During my time there I'll be in southern France and Spain.
We'll be in Cannes and around Barcelona (I think maybe Estartit)
I'd certainly like to do some diving while I'm there but I'm having quite a difficult time finding out what sort of regulations exist to go diving.

My wife and I are both PADI AOW divers.

I have seen some sites mention Insurance, others mention a physical etc.... I have contacted several Dive ops and no one has returned my emails.... not exactly promising.

Has anyone been to either France or Spain recently who can maybe relay their experiences?

Thanks,
Matt

France: Medical certifiacte compulsory (normally, visit to doctor costs 20 Euros in France)
Insurance:
compulsory: insurance ro protect others from damage caused by you (insure your own damages not compulsory). Bu I think you could take it locally. Not sure, as I have a year long insurance.
Brings your diving log, so that they can evaluate the equivalence between your level and the French levels (automatic for OW, but not for further PADI levels).

Hi Bretagne,

My wife and I now both have DAN master insurannce....

Do you know what kind of physical is required?
Is there a particular questionnaire or is it just proof that you had a physical in the last year?

Thanks,
Matt

You need ta certificate (from a doctor :wink:) which says that you have no medical condition preventing you to practice scubadiving. Written in a language that the reader understand (a lot understand written English, but may be not everybody). And from less than one year.
But this is true for diving strucures (clubs, shops...). If you cane manage to dive by your own, there is no regulation.
Also note that waiver have no legal values in France. Even worse, some one who asks for or accept a customer to sign a waiver is supposed to have rejected his own responsibilities -> possibly aggravating circumstances.

Also do not forget that most dives here are deco dives (light deco on air in general).

You cann enjo Housing some where there ,the rent is no all throu high but mostly outbooked;it is a privelige,and never forget ...3times and you are out.

7*

mattimus:
Folks,

I'd certainly like to do some diving while I'm there but I'm having quite a difficult time finding out what sort of regulations exist to go diving.

I have seen some sites mention Insurance, others mention a physical etc.... I have contacted several Dive ops and no one has returned my emails.... not exactly promising.

Has anyone been to either France or Spain recently who can maybe relay their experiences?

Thanks,
Matt

mattimus:
Folks,

Thanks,
Matt

In my own experience, no problem to dive in Spain. Estartit is a good place : try "Calypso diving" (PADI Center) british guy (He speaks english!) and belgian women. However you should book your dives.
http://www.grn.es/calypso/english.html

In southern France the problem should be not the doctor's certificate but your Padi level. The vast majority of the diving company accept only CMAS level.... good luck!!!!

regards

François

perche:
In southern France the problem should be not the doctor's certificate but your Padi level. The vast majority of the diving company accept only CMAS level.... good luck!!!!
I will not say that it is the majority, but true for some (it seems that it improves). Due to a too narrow reading of the law, which does not speaks about PADI. But they should be able to grant you a temporary equivalence, may be after an evaluation dive. This is specifically stated in the law.
What would be more difficule is to change of dive company everyday, because each new one would have to reevaluate you.

I work in L' Estartit, for Diving Center La Sirena, I am currently in the office, as my job on the snorkel boat has finished, we ask here that everyone, must obviously have proof that they are certified divers..ie your card. Secondly that they have a recent medical, if you don´t have one, you can get them done in town at the medical center for 30 euros. You must also have insurance, if you don´t then we have our own that can be also used anywhere around the world, the costs of the insurance are 5 euros a day, 15 euros a month, 35 for anual, and 45 euros for anual + max 40 meteres. I hope this helps, you should definatly come down this way. And the Medes Islands are a must!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom