What BC to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

avpro4

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Help! I am way confused by all the models and varieties out there.

I just got recert'd after a 40 year hiatus in anticipation of a 25th aniiversary trip to Akumal Mexico. Both wife & I took the YMCA class, and I had to borrow someone's BC with integrated weights, just to get through the check out dive in a quarry. I had never worn a 7mm wetsuit before, and it made my body (at 5'7, 230 lbs) into a slippery isoceles triangle to which no weight belt could long be attached! (I couldn't even waddle to the water without it falling down around my fins...)

But those few dives released a practically demonic desire to get back into the sport. Getting wet is like all I think about now. But renting is expensive and impractical, so I figure I should probably buy something.

The various postings here have me thinking about back inflation, maybe a donut shaped wing. It should be something light to travel, with integrated weights that "click" into place.

I'm not made of money either. Plus I'm a little wary of LDS owners trying to sell me on what they have in stock or make the best margin on. I figure if I do enough homework to where I can justify my decision based on features -vs- cost, maybe I can feel good buying something on line or even on ebay.

Any ideas or advice to help me with my "homework" would be appreciated!

And in related vein, has anyone experience with a BCD named "The Innovator by Aquatec - with air buddy integrated alternate air source"?

Two things....one...I have used other bcds but love my bp and wing like no other. Its an option to consider.

Second....get away from a weight belt if you go with externally worn weights and go with a weight harness.

If interested in more bp and wing info...and a source....let me know by pm.
rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom