Subic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jedidiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,I will be arriving in Manila on the 22nd.I am considering wreck diving in Subic.Can anyone tell me what the wrecks are like and water conditions?Woulds Anilao be a better choice? thank you!

jedidiver:
Hello all,I will be arriving in Manila on the 22nd.I am considering wreck diving in Subic.Can anyone tell me what the wrecks are like and water conditions?Woulds Anilao be a better choice? thank you!

All i can say is that in both Anilao and Subic, the waves are rough this coming weekend brought about by the "Habagat" and Low pressure area developing on the east.

Take care, enjoy the waves!!!

Surfing is now up at La Union!

Yeah, i'll bet that typhoon is going to suck some big wind straight onto the western side of the island . . .

anyway, jedidiver, assuming you get some good conditions at some point during your trip i'll give you my take on the 2 places.

Anilao - One of my favorite places to dive in the phils. A good variety of coral reefs from walls to slopes to good 'muck' diving . . . healthy seas for the most part, some strong currents, not very commercialized (which i really like). On the whole I think it's one of the better spots to dive in the phils - though when i tell some of the lazy foreign instructors in the dive shops in Puerto Galera that I think the diving is better in anilao than there they look at me like i'm crazy . . . hope they don't bother to check!

Subic - Fun diving on the wrecks, USS New York, El Capitan, LST . . . all really good wreck dives. You'd better really like wreck diving though because the viz is almost always bad (for the phils at least - i've had 10 - 30 ft.) but people tell me there are lots of fish around . . . guess i just can't see them! No coral reef action in the Bay but I understand Capones Island is ok(not so far away), haven't made the trip though.

As far as diving during typhoon season, some of they guys here claim that conditions in Puerto Galera are usually still ok at this time of year. Makes sense, they are more sheltered from the prevailing winds (habagat).

Good luck!

update from a friend who was in subic, bring your lights as the water was very turbid and murky. your lucky to get 10ft viz.

jedi,

How long do you plan to dive in the Philippines? That would effect your choices, which is obvious I guess.

Wrecks: Subic is the place to go for wrecks that are relatively close to Manila. If you have time you could consider also/or instead go to Coron.

Anilao: I may get stones thrown at me on the board, but I have a little different view than most posters on the board. Anilao is known for being economically priced, but thats if you go with a group, or find other people to dive with once you are there, as you don't pay by the dive, but you pay for the boat and dive master (so the more on the boat the cheaper per diver). This works OK on weekends, but I would think it could get expensive during the week as Anilao is more of a weekend destination from Manila.

Maybe those of you that know Anilao better than me can comment on what its like to dive there during the week; especially for a single diver.

Typhoon season: jedi, you could try the Visayas (Cebu, Bohol, Southern Leyte), as I believe that are less affected by the habagat. This goes back to my question about how much time you have.

To Scuby Dooby's point about PG and typhoons, my girlfriend came across this morning on a banka ferry and said it was a bit rough during the crossing, but was calm enough near shore for the dive boats to go out.

If you do decided to do Subic let us know, I'll be there from late on the evening of 7/27 to 8/1 doing wreck diving course. If you are still around we can try and hook up.

Later,
Drew

HI DREW (AND EVERYONE),

I'll be arriving Clark with three of my buddies on 27th for about a week. Its our first time in Phillipines and I've read up on internet and library about so many different good dive sites far between each other. So we are stuck whether we should stay in one place or see atleast 2 or 3 sites in same province to minimize travel distance and time.

So far we are thinking like this : (27th) stay in Subic Bay for one wreck dive, (28th to 1st) go sites between Nasugbu, Anilao, Puerto Galera, Isla Verde and stay in one of these places, (2nd) we head back to Manila for the flight back 3rd morning.

If the weather is bad in Luzon, should be go straight down to Cebu area ? Also we hope dive shops have wetsuits too. Our goal is to see good corals/life as well as rays and sharks or possibly whale shark.

Any advice would be welcomed greatly.

Rgds
Tom

a
Typhoon season: jedi, you could try the Visayas (Cebu, Bohol, Southern Leyte), as I believe that are less affected by the habagat. This goes back to my question about how much time you have.

To Scuby Dooby's point about PG and typhoons, my girlfriend came across this morning on a banka ferry and said it was a bit rough during the crossing, but was calm enough near shore for the dive boats to go out.

If you do decided to do Subic let us know, I'll be there from late on the evening of 7/27 to 8/1 doing wreck diving course. If you are still around we can try and hook up.

Later,
Drew[/QUOTE]

arabianply:
So far we are thinking like this : (27th) stay in Subic Bay for one wreck dive, (28th to 1st) go sites between Nasugbu, Anilao, Puerto Galera, Isla Verde and stay in one of these places, (2nd) we head back to Manila for the flight back 3rd morning.

Hi arabianply,

If you are only doing 1 week I would not try to do more than 2 places. Since you will be in Clark it makes sense to do Subic, but I don't think Subic would keep you happy for an entire week. I would then go to either Anilao or PG, you can do Verde as a day trip from either. I personally would do PG, but many on the board would recommend Anilao. In my earlier post to jedi I mentioned why I would have reservations about Anilao during the week, but if you have a group then Anilao may make sense. Maybe someone else on the board can help you with info on Anilao, as I've only been there a few times over the years.

I would skip Nasugbu, other than Fortune Island I don't think there is a lot to be dived around there, but I could be wrong. Some body else speak up on that please. I did Fortune Island several years ago from Matabungkay and wasn't impressed, but it was one of those days where nothing went right so maybe I got the wrong impression.

If you decide to do PG drop me a PM and I can recommend who to dive with there.

I'll be in Subic when you are there doing a wreck course, I think we are diving out of Masterdive and staying at Blue Rock, but I'm ashamed to say I don't know that for sure. I'm doing the course with an instructor friend (that works in PG) and he is arranging everything.

Feel free to look me up and we can have a chat. As my my screenname indicates, look for the short, bald, fat guy
04.gif

Enjoy your trip where ever you go, the Philippines are great fun with the right attitude and a small dose of patience.

Cheers,
Drew

Hi Tom,

As for wetsuits, if you're in the Manila area, Dive Buddies in Makati (along JP Rizal a little bit up from Makati Ave) are having a "wet and wild sale. wetsuits and other brands will be sold for more than 50% off. Secondhand BCDs and regulators are also included." It begins august 1st, so if you have time before you leave you can try them. The main brand they carry is Aquamundo which are pretty nice suits, IMO. Apparently they're made in the same factory as Mares. I can't recall any other brand they carry.

Also just for your info, you can also try Nautilus (pasay rd. in front of Goldilocks bakery around Greenbelt area), they have some suits for pretty cheap but the selection is random. Also Aquaventure (St. Paul street, makati) carry a variety of suits Mares, Orca, pinnacle, etc. I got my suit at scubaworld in San Juan (along Jose Abad Santos st. not far fro Wilson st.), but they also have another store in Makati which I can't remember the address. The main brand they carry is mares, can't think of any other brands they have. I'm assuming you're staying in the makati area. If you're in the manila area, Whitetip divers in malate is another place you can try.

Hope you enjoy the Philippines. When you get into a taxi always tell the driver "metered" so he doesn't quote you a set price. And always have small bills cause they'll most likely won't have change for that P500 of yours. :)

arabianply:
HI DREW (AND EVERYONE),

I'll be arriving Clark with three of my buddies on 27th for about a week. Its our first time in Phillipines and I've read up on internet and library about so many different good dive sites far between each other. So we are stuck whether we should stay in one place or see atleast 2 or 3 sites in same province to minimize travel distance and time.

If the weather is bad in Luzon, should be go straight down to Cebu area ? Also we hope dive shops have wetsuits too. Our goal is to see good corals/life as well as rays and sharks or possibly whale shark.

Any advice would be welcomed greatly.

Rgds
Tom

Dear Chip104,

Thanks for the value info. We'll check it out when in Manila.

Rgds
Tom

chip104:
Hi Tom,

As for wetsuits, if you're in the Manila area, Dive Buddies in Makati (along JP Rizal a little bit up from Makati Ave) are having a "wet and wild sale. wetsuits and other brands will be sold for more than 50% off. Secondhand BCDs and regulators are also included." It begins august 1st, so if you have time before you leave you can try them. The main brand they carry is Aquamundo which are pretty nice suits, IMO. Apparently they're made in the same factory as Mares. I can't recall any other brand they carry.

Also just for your info, you can also try Nautilus (pasay rd. in front of Goldilocks bakery around Greenbelt area), they have some suits for pretty cheap but the selection is random. Also Aquaventure (St. Paul street, makati) carry a variety of suits Mares, Orca, pinnacle, etc. I got my suit at scubaworld in San Juan (along Jose Abad Santos st. not far fro Wilson st.), but they also have another store in Makati which I can't remember the address. The main brand they carry is mares, can't think of any other brands they have. I'm assuming you're staying in the makati area. If you're in the manila area, Whitetip divers in malate is another place you can try.

Hope you enjoy the Philippines. When you get into a taxi always tell the driver "metered" so he doesn't quote you a set price. And always have small bills cause they'll most likely won't have change for that P500 of yours. :)

Thanks Drew, will call you if in Subic. We might just go straight to Anilao. BTW can you tell us how the weather is like these days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom