Kona - Condos or Hotels for january

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlaskaDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Eagle River, Alaska -> moved to Cape Cod, Mass
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My husband & I will be taking a week on the Kona Aggressor II. We will require 3 nights prior and 3 nights after the trip. Any recommendations for inexpensive and relatively normal places to stay in Kailua-Kona area? I've stayed at the Kona Islander Inn (15 years ago) and it was budget, but okay. I'm not certain what state of disarray the hotel is in now. Any suggestions for a decent Kailua-Kona area hotel?

AlaskaDiver:
My husband & I will be taking a week on the Kona Aggressor II. We will require 3 nights prior and 3 nights after the trip. Any recommendations for inexpensive and relatively normal places to stay in Kailua-Kona area? I've stayed at the Kona Islander Inn (15 years ago) and it was budget, but okay. I'm not certain what state of disarray the hotel is in now. Any suggestions for a decent Kailua-Kona area hotel?

I suggest that you go to the website Tripadvisor.com for information and user reviews on Kona hotels: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?w...nation)&submit.x=14&submit.y=17&submit=submit

AlaskaDiver:
Nice, I had no idea there was such a website. I've used this as a reference point for looking at several other hotel/condo options. Thanks!

We have used it as an excellent resource for planning trips for several years. Good luck and don't miss the Kona Manta Ray Night Dive.
:14:

I booked a condo through Sunquest (I think that was the name, not sure now) on the Big Island last July. Condos are cheaper and have their own kitchens, a good thing considering that Kona dining is more expensive than it's worth IMHO. The only thing I have to take issue with is that (and I was there in July, it's probably better most other months), the condos have serious cockroach infestation. It was a daily battle to keep food supplies roach free. Other than that MINOR problem, I'd have to say condo living was quite enjoyable.

We did not have roaches - we did have ants.

Stayed at a place called Sea Village - it had excellent BBQ facilities overlooking the pool.

Ok you want a really complete overview go to www.wizardpub.com . The password for the Big Island is HR3454. Make sure its in caps. This is by far the most candid look at all the best places to stay there and some of the worst as well. Hope this helps.

Is laundry access. We went last year on kind of a last minute short hop, and stayed at the Kona Royal Seacliff. Met the resident ants, but loved the washer/dryer access..

DeputyDan:
We did not have roaches - we did have ants.

Stayed at a place called Sea Village - it had excellent BBQ facilities overlooking the pool.
Ditto that for me. I've been very pleased every time I've stayed at Sea Village. The only downside (as has been pointed out earlier) is that as a condo, these units don't have A/C.

-(Not a Deputy) Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom