Southern Leyte, Malapascua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver69

Contributor
Reaction score
I'll be travelling to Phil in November, and I was just wondering the following:

1. Are there still Thresher Sharks at Malapascua? I heard they may have disappeared.

2. What are the chances of seeing Whale sharks in Southern Leyte in Nov? I read they are at Southern Leyte (from Lonely Planet - please don't flame), but everyone I talked has never heard of that.

If the Thresher Sharks are not there anymore, I may just go directly to Apo Island in Negros. Was there 2 yrs ago and loved it.

Also, seen Sombrero Island being mentioned quite a bit in the forum; is it really good (say, compared to Apo Island) or is it mentioned often due to its proximity to Manila?

Appreciate any comment.

Diver69

diver69:
I'll be travelling to Phil in November, and I was just wondering the following:

1. Are there still Thresher Sharks at Malapascua? I heard they may have disappeared.
[snipped]
Diver69
From this website, it says you have an 80% chance of seeing one between June to December, http://www.malapascua-diving.com/Guarantee.html. I'm going there in a couple of weeks, I'll let you know if I see one.

Enrique

>0 (Subzero),

Would appreciate a trip report when you get a chance.

Thx.

Diver69

If you are interested in Threshers check out www.threshersharkdivers.com (pls correct for misspellings). They use to run Bubble07 at Malapascua where I went last year. Trevor and Andrea are experts in finding them. Oh, and tell them Gus will see them next year!

...there are whalesharks around in Southern Leyte, season is from March to May and check this link www.leyte-divers.com for more info. There is some good diving out there, but it is remote with facilities to match. Let me know if you have further questions.

diver69:
Diver69

I was just there at the end of May for a week and the Threshers were there. They weren't as close as I would have liked but I did see them several times. Well I did see one real close at the bottom of the descent line but of course I didn't have my camera ready - quite a surprise. I hope you dive with Andrea and Treavor with Thresher Shark Divers say Hi for me too.

Jason

Back
Top Bottom