GUE Cave 1 video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Cave diving is way outta my league and this video is facinating to me.

The video is 23 minutes long and with my cable connection was only a 1:30min d/l but if you have dial-up you might have quite a wait! About 8 min. into it, the diver is seen touching the walls as if he's pulling himself along. Is this proper cave technique. Not trying to start anything...just curious!

Cave divers....I've never seen video of the Florida caves I hear you mention...Devil's Ear, Peanut Tunnel in Peacock Spring or Telford. Is this video a good representation of what it's really like?

You'll need to right click on the link on that page and choose Save Target As...to save it to your hard drive.
GUE Cave 1 video

Hi Dee,

Just watched the video you linked to. Interesting since I was just at Peacock (in the Peanut Tunnel) and Telford this Saturday.

In general it's best to avoid touching the cave but sometimes is necessary and generally accepted practice.

As far as a representation of what it's like... no video could really ever show you what it's really like.. ok, maybe an IMAX with a million dollars worth of lighting... but the video does give a simple idea of what it's like. Sort of a quickie... like if you were to do the dive and only get to open your eyes for 15 seconds total during different parts of it. I suspect that's because of their lighting limitation.

The part they showed of the peanut tunnel is a relatively short portion about 400ft long that's low and narrow. The rest of that tunnel is (for the most part) big enough to drive a semi through.

BTW: That portion of the Peanut tunnel is a favorite of instructors to do lights out airshare drills...

Those guys technique could use some work too... maybe that's what Tamera was there for. I'm sure she can straighten them out. Tamara is a GUE instructor. :wink:

There is a technique called "pull and glide" which you would use in a high flow cave. I do this in Devil's Ear.

That was good ole Extreme Exposure in High Springs, Florida. Home of DIR, Halcyon, GUE, and Extreme Exposure dive shop.

WYDT once bubbled...
Just watched the video you linked to. Interesting since I was just at Peacock (in the Peanut Tunnel) and Telford this Saturday.
Just watched it... they missed our little friend in the pool at Peacock....
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom