question about clipping spg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
guys dir recommends you clip your spg to your left hip d ring. just got a new apeks spg. real big brass one looks indestructible. the hose it came with is short and it wont reach down my left hip d ring. i clip it on my left d ring instead.. its very convenient as i can see it without unclipping it. this ok?

Well, it's not at all DIR. Whether it's OK or appropriate for your diving is another matter entirely.

It may or may not even be allowed in your class.

The proper course of action is to buy the right length hose.

Spoon:
guys dir recommends you clip your spg to your left hip d ring. just got a new apeks spg. real big brass one looks indestructible. the hose it came with is short and it wont reach down my left hip d ring. i clip it on my left d ring instead.. its very convenient as i can see it without unclipping it. this ok?

I guarantee you the hose it came with is actually too long for DIR and you are routing something wrong.

That hose looks too long to be a 24". A 24" HP hose coming out the side of a first stage in that way doesn't have that much slack in my experience. A 24" hose is good for doubles where the hose comes straight down, and it doesn't leave significant slack as seen in the picture.

pants!:
That hose looks too long to be a 24". A 24" HP hose coming out the side of a first stage in that way doesn't have that much slack in my experience. A 24" hose is good for doubles where the hose comes straight down, and it doesn't leave significant slack as seen in the picture.

The proper hose length is 24". Did not look at pic. Does not matter if it is doubles or singles, 24 works for both (at least for apex and SP it does).

I hate to disagree with you, but I will anyway. However that's a question for another thread.

I use 24" for doubles on Apeks DS4 and 26" for singles on Atomics. The hose routing on the singles Atomics just doesn't point straight down to the D-ring, thus making a 24" a very tight fit (aka not smooth like a 24" on doubles). The clip, unclip, read, clip action should be smooth, uninterrupted and seamless. I recently made the switch and didn't want to go to 26" b/c it's not standard hosing that I have. This has made single tank SPG hose work 'on the money.'

24" is preferable, but if it doesn't work, go up an inch or two. YMMV.
Sincerely,
H2

RTodd:
The proper hose length is 24". Did not look at pic. Does not matter if it is doubles or singles, 24 works for both (at least for apex and SP it does).

LOL - try telling that to any number of GUE instructors who couldn't get a 24" SPG hose to fit their hip d-ring unless they dislocated their hip. My GUE instructor uses a 26" hose with his DS4 Apeks doubles rig.

Dude - it's the whole "do it this way or you're wrong" attitude that doesn't exactly win converts to DIR.

Spoon and others - the correct hose length is one that routes directly from your first stage to your left hip D-Ring without slack. Now, chances are GOOD that it's 24", but you MAY need 26". There are some short people who can probably use a 22" hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom