Zeagle scout weighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

partridge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Got my Scout last week and used it for two dives this past weekend.

Found I need 6-7 lbs. 3-4 less than with the Black Diamond. Really love the feel of the BC. Very free. Someone said it looked sleek and sexy. I thought they were talking about me. haha

Anyway, I had a difficult time getting my trim right. Because the trim pockets in the back are long and vertical, the weights always end up in the bottom of the pocket. I want them higher up so I can move my tank a bit lower to stop it from hitting my head.

1) How else do I do I adjust trim without going to a weight belt?

2) Maybe if I stuff something in the pockets so that the weight is at the top end of the pocket, it might help some. Will it? How much?

3) I guess I could dive with 8 lbs and put two in each front pocket and two in each rear pocket.

Also, I plan to attach a knife to the Scout. How do others do this? I was thinking on the right strap since it so nicely provides webbing on top of the strap. Dont want to put it on the left with the inflator hose.

Herman, you there? It was your posts that got me to buy the scout?

Paul

Yes I am here, just got back from Curacao :)

I have 2 ways of "adjusting" the location of the back weights. If you want them ditchable, you can cut the top off of plastic soda bottles to the length you want and install them into the pouches open side down and placing the weights on top of them. You will also need to cut 2 or 3 small holes in the bottom of these bottles to allow air in them to vent. Lengths of 3 inch PVC pipe should do as well.
If you don't want/need them to be ditchable, you can form a weight hanger by simply tieing a 1/8 nylon cord into a loop of about 6 inches in diameter, fold the string in half and slide it though any standard hard weight. The weight will hang from this string. You then install the weight in the top of the pocket and pass the top flap of the weight pouch through both sides of the string loop so the weight hangs from the string and the then close the weight pocket. I can post some pictures if you need them. This is the way I have been diving the Scout for several years now- I use between 3 and 4 lbs in each pocket and choose not to dive them ditchable.

As for trim, you will have to decide what works for you. I find splitting my weights roughly 60 frount/40 rear works for me although I usually dive the Scout with 6 to 8 lbs in the rear alone (mine it the super stripped down version with no frount pockets). If you need 6-7 lbs I would think 1s in the rear and 3s in the frount would be about right if not then 2s all around would be my choice unless you want to make custom weight sizes. It's real easy to cut lead weights down to smaller values. If you still need more weight in the rear you can reverse the loading to 3s in the rear and 1s in the frount but this would cut your ditchable weight down to a couple of pounds if you are using the string hangers. Thats a decision you will have to make on your own. I am not suggesting you follow my lead but I dive it with all my weight in the rear and non ditchable. I dive strickly AL-80s so at worst case I am about 4 to 6 lbs negative at the beginning of a dive and maybe 1 or 2 lbs negative at the end. Most of my dives are shallow with multiple dive buddies so having to swim up a few lbs is no big deal.

Herman is truly the "King of the Scout"!!

:D

The PVC pipe is probably a better choice than the plastic bottles, imho...

I attach my knife directly to the corrugated hose via zip ties. I am right handed, so putting in on my right shoulder makes it a little ackward to get to...

Experiment and do whatever works best for you!!!

scott

Thanks Scott..I think.

The bottles were actually a quick fix idea on a trip after getting tired of the weights moving around in the pockets. They worked OK and best of all, finding replacements is easy. I was going to move to the PCV but before I got around to making them I had the string idea. I have since used the sting hangers with a lot of sucess. The down side is the loss of ditchable weights, something I don't necessarily suggest to new divers.
I have also added a crotch strap to the Scout if anyone is interested.

herman:
The down side is the loss of ditchable weights, something I don't necessarily suggest to new divers.

My thoughts exactly, Herman...

One of the best things about the Scout is that it is so minimal you don't need much weight at all for tropical diving.

I only have the rear weight pockets on mine as well, so I don't plan on ditching weights, and with an HP 100 or HP120 (steel) I don't wear any weights...

However, what I do or dive should not be considered the "right way" or "only way" to do it!!! :wink:

Scott

Thanks guys. Dont worry about teaching me the wrong thing. I have a brain and use it. Extensively, I might add. haha.

Anyway, I think I have the minimalist Scout. The only front pockets are the flat ones with velcro towards the front. You would not even know they were there just looking at it. I do not need ditchable weight. I dive with AL 80, 95 or 100's. Usually 80 because I'm with new divers or students and I dont need the air.

I'll try the pvc. I have some lying around. Thanks for that. I will also try the zip tied knife. I have a Scubapro K3 somewhere. I too am right handed but did not want it under the corrugated hose. So I guess the next best thing is ON the corrugated hose.

I also have to cut some of the straps down as they are flying all over the place. The corrugated hose is a bit long for my taste but I'll live.

Thanks guys. Ill let you know how I get on.

I love my scout. Its an older one i bought used.

I'll post a pic of my scout with my BC knife mounted on the right strap when i get home.

VERY versatile BC. I even use it for some shallow wreck dives off NJ (70-80ft)

clgsamson:
I too have a scout and I'm very satisfied with it. I'd like to see how your BC knife is mounted though.

Can't get my digital camera to work.

Basically, on the right shoulder strap, the side w/o the inflator. I took the sheath, which had two small screws on the back (its a "thresher" BC knife). I took a hot nail heated with a blow torch and made two small holes where the screws are on the back of the sheath in the webbing on the shoulder strap. Then i mounted the sheath upside down by screwing the screws thru washers thru the strap out the other side into the sheath. That simple.

Sounds like what I did with my Zeagle knife expect I put it on the left side since I am right handed. I wanted it commando style but mounting it upside down wasn't going to happen. Mine is actually tucked just a bit behind the pocket, all the way down on the shoulder strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom