self contained snorkel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knight1989

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
A few years back I read something about a self contained snorkel rig. Designed for kids. I want to start teaching my kid diving when hes old enough and thought this would be a great way to start him into it now at a younger age. Problem is since I read about it, I havent seen or heard anything about them since. Cant find anyone that sells them. Anyone ever come across these or know anything about them?

Knight1989:
A few years back I read something about a self contained snorkel rig. Designed for kids. I want to start teaching my kid diving when hes old enough and thought this would be a great way to start him into it now at a younger age. Problem is since I read about it, I havent seen or heard anything about them since. Cant find anyone that sells them. Anyone ever come across these or know anything about them?

Self contained?

Do you mean one of those big masks with the snorkel going into it? I had one in the 60s. Dual tubes with the ping pong ball valves. Maybe a vintage (dry rotted) one could be found on EBAY.

I'd just go mask and regular snorkel they need have constant oral breathing become second nature. Clearing the mask I mentioned above is a nightmare.

If I missed the whole point just ignore this.

Pete

Maybe snuba?

Knight1989:

Maybe you're referring to the SASY unit (Supplied Air Snorkeling for Youth)? I believe US Divers/Aqualung is the manufacturer. Very costly, but interesting.

spectrum:
Self contained?

Do you mean one of those big masks with the snorkel going into it? I had one in the 60s. Dual tubes with the ping pong ball valves. Maybe a vintage (dry rotted) one could be found on EBAY.

I'd just go mask and regular snorkel they need have constant oral breathing become second nature. Clearing the mask I mentioned above is a nightmare.

If I missed the whole point just ignore this.

Pete

Like this? It was on ebay a couple months ago. It sold for around $80.

This looks like it here:
http://www.melbournediving.com.au/scuba.gen/wsproduct/1/267
Interesting. Basically a non-inflatable BC with a small tank and regulator.
But it seems to me you could have the same deal much cheaper with just a floatation jacket and a snorkel.
Better yet, teach the child to not be dependant on floatation devices at all. I was drown proofed at eight, and freediving to twenty feet by 10 in a small lake. With a snorkel he/she can cruise around all day and never have to grab the dock, or raise his/her head (except to see where he's at once in a while).

That looks downright dangerous, but I love the name - Super Nelson.

Knight, you are probably thinking of SASY, which is an expensive unit that does nothing a simple snorkel set up can't do and it doesn't allow one to dive beneath the water which your child will be able to do if you give him skin diving lessons. A simple mask snorkel and fins are far superior to SASY, IMHO.

That Super Nelson thingy looks hilarious! Plus near impossible to use. Looks like you'd have to breath through your nose. Then, if you could submerge to the ends of the breathing tube, water pressure would prevent you from inhaling. I know. I've tried breathing underwater from a garden hose. Doesn't work.
Reminds me of my very first mask. Just like Spectrum's. Two tubes with ping-pong balls that were supposed to seal the tubes upon submersion. Also didn't work.
Really, just what Walter said. Mask, fins, snorkel, and twenty minutes of instruction, and he'll be a fish. Teach him how to flip his legs up to submerge, equalize his ears, and clear the snorkel the last couple feet on the way up.
You won't be able to keep him out of the water. When you do get him out of the water, his lips will be blue and his fingers will be wrinkled, but he'll be grinning ear to ear, and begging for scuba lessons.
Another option to consider is maybe a snorkeling vest. Just an inflatable vest that you blow up yourself in case you get tired. I saw those used in the Keys one time.

fishoutawater:
That Super Nelson thingy looks hilarious! Plus near impossible to use. Looks like you'd have to breath through your nose. Then, if you could submerge to the ends of the breathing tube, water pressure would prevent you from inhaling. I know. I've tried breathing underwater from a garden hose. Doesn't work.
Reminds me of my very first mask. Just like Spectrum's. Two tubes with ping-pong balls that were supposed to seal the tubes upon submersion. Also didn't work.
Really, just what Walter said. Mask, fins, snorkel, and twenty minutes of instruction, and he'll be a fish. Teach him how to flip his legs up to submerge, equalize his ears, and clear the snorkel the last couple feet on the way up.
You won't be able to keep him out of the water. When you do get him out of the water, his lips will be blue and his fingers will be wrinkled, but he'll be grinning ear to ear, and begging for scuba lessons.
Another option to consider is maybe a snorkeling vest. Just an inflatable vest that you blow up yourself in case you get tired. I saw those used in the Keys one time.

The system you may be referring to can be found at http://www.powerdiveonline.com

SSI Australia has has a Powerdiving program and a regular certification course for a few years. Widely used in Auz, NZ and Taz we have begun offering the program here in Phuket, Thailand since just before the tsunami. There is anouther local company offering this interesting program and you can check things out with SSI Australia but as far as I know our shop has the only 3 certified Instructors in Thailand.

Even though the presure that the air is delivered to the divers from this hookah system is only 35 PSI compared to 135-175 remember that this is still breating compressed air and you should not think of teaching this to your kids by yourself. Just like scuba diving you should only be taught by a qualified and fully insurred instructor.

SASY, made by Scubapro, and probably some others.

Back
Top Bottom