Triox for the masses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian Gilpin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Why not? Why are agencies making it so hard to get triox/trimix cards? Is there something inherently dangerous about it? It seems simple enough as long as you dont mess with the Oxygen levels beyond those allowed by a nitrox card.

I will be taking rec triox in the future as soon as I clean up a couple of skills I personally was not satisfied with in DIR-F. In the meantime I want my gas! Why are they keeping it from me?
06.gif
Does anybody have a good answer?

My assumption would be that demand is relatively low since not that many divers are looking to go that deep, plan their dive that extensively up front, or stay down that long. Additionally there’s the fact that while diving trimix may not inherently be more dangerous, the dives that you can get into with it can be.

Brian Gilpin:
In the meantime I want my gas! Why are they keeping it from me?
06.gif
Does anybody have a good answer?
Because people are cheap

Bill51:
My assumption would be that demand is relatively low . .

That does not seem to stop them when they want to create weird specilaty courses.Any International Diver patches out there?

Bill51:
Additionally there’s the fact that while diving trimix may not inherently be more dangerous, the dives that you can get into with it can be.

Why do you say that? Is it some sort of loco gas that makes you go extra deep? My limited understanding is that it would be very useful in the range that students dive when getting their Advanced card. It seems that if you kept the beginning nitrox class limitations in place that depth would be controlled automatically.

People comaplin about $15 nitrox fills.. you think any significant numbers of rec divers will pay $30+ for triox?

Brian Gilpin:
How can you say that in a forum where people routinely pay $1000 or more for a glorified flashlight?
Because a forum isn't real life. In reality, those $1000 flashlights represent a TINY TINY minority of the dive industry.

Brian Gilpin:
How can you say that in a forum where people routinely pay $1000 or more for a glorified flashlight?
Are you talking about techincal or recreational divers? I assume it was the later in which case very few of them own HIDs.

I will be taking rec triox in the future...
Hey Brian,

I just filled a set of E8-130s with Trimix 18/42 to 3500 psi (260 cu ft).

The price of my gas was $109.00 for that fill.

Deco gasses not included...

Uh...if I had to guess at why Recreational triox use might not be real widespread, that might be one reason.

Still in a hurry to use triox for Recreational dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom