Bohol - Cabilao / Balicasag - Polaris?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver69

Contributor
Reaction score
OK. I have decided not to return to Apo Island based on some posts both here and on Lonely Planet Thorn Tree basically saying the place has gone downhill quick. In fact, I have e-mail Liberty's Lodge quite a few days ago, and they have not responded to my e-mail yet.

I think I have my mind set on Bohol now. What I need to decide is whether to go to Cabilao or Balicasag.

I have read up a bit on Cabilao, and if I do decide to go Cabilao, I need to decide which resort to stay with. I have narrowed that down to Polaris Dive Resort and Cabilao Beach Club. I know that Cabilao Beach Club is fairly new, and I am sure will be very clean. But I like that Polaris has a swimming pool - my companion does not dive. So, can someone offer any opinion on either of these places? Also, I can't seem to find a pricelist for Cabilao Beach Club online. Any idea on the prices?

Also, what about Balicasag Island? How does it compare to Cabilao? Any recommendation for dive report/operation there?

I am hoping to see large fish, schooling fish (I hear there are hammerheads at Cabilao - can anyone confirm any recent sightings) such as barracuda, jacks, and such (sad to hear jacks have all but disappeared at Apo Island). I've been doing macro for a bit, and am starting to miss the spectacular large fish and large schools.

Also, I think the resorts at Cabilao make trips to Balicasag as well - how's the boat ride there and back around November? And how much do they charge?

I would really appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Diver69

diver69:
Hello, anyone?

Hi 69,

I can only speak about Balicasag as I haven't been to Cabilao. To dive Balicasag you are better off to stay on Alona Beach, Panglao Island. There is one resort on Balicasag and nothing else (I've never stayed there I have walked arouind the island)...the resort is run by the government (at least it was 3 years ago) and you know how most things are run by any government. Alona Beach has plenty of resorts and a nice beach.

From Alona its a 30 minute boat ride to Balicasag. When I last did Balicasag 3 years ago we saw a large school of cudas on one dive and a large school of jacks on the 2nd.

There is a wall that surrounds most of Panglao and it has nice corals though not an abundant amount of reef fish as I recall (step in if any one has a different opinion). We did see a frog fish on one dive on the wall, about all I remember.

Hope this helps,
Drew

I'm going to Cabilao the second week of this September and will likely stay at Polaris. I'll let you know how it is when I get back. If for any reason I forget, just send me a PM.

I dove Cabilao from Alona beach back in 2001 and remember that it was quite a long trip (approx. 2 hrs. each way). I believe that at the time the additional cost was $20 per person, though it was a while ago and that may have changed. At the time you also needed a minimum number of people to take the trip with you, or else you had to be willing to pay for the difference.

As for the diving at Cabilao, one of the highlights was seeing a school of several hundred baracudas swimming in a tornado formation. It was pretty spectacular at the time and I certainly hope to see it again. There was plenty of other sealife as well, though we didn't see any hammerheads. You may have better luck in November when the water is colder.

Belicasag was also great and much closer to Alona. The soft corals there were superb, though I don't remember seeing as many big fish as at Cabilao.

HI,
Last year I went to Balicasag Island and stayed there for a week.
Diving was great , really saw a lot of fishes big ones. Schooling Jacks ( 8- 10 kls up), large groupers ( 10-20 kls) . The walls are great" drop -offs" and the Cathedral with swim throughs . Saw a lot of turtle at Turtle Point , good reefs also for macro photography..
The resort offers good food. The food per meal was resonable. Though they dont have lots of water for rinsing during summer. but the people there really made it a point that we have ample water. they bring in these water by bangkas , just for us to take a bath.( that's good service. But if you go this Sept. water wont be a problem. The whole island is guarded by marines , just to make sure no kidnapping occurs ", ala Dos plamas.
Hope this helps

manhattandiver:
I'm going to Cabilao the second week of this September and will likely stay at Polaris. I'll let you know how it is when I get back. If for any reason I forget, just send me a PM.

I dove Cabilao from Alona beach back in 2001 and remember that it was quite a long trip (approx. 2 hrs. each way). I believe that at the time the additional cost was $20 per person, though it was a while ago and that may have changed. At the time you also needed a minimum number of people to take the trip with you, or else you had to be willing to pay for the difference.

As for the diving at Cabilao, one of the highlights was seeing a school of several hundred baracudas swimming in a tornado formation. It was pretty spectacular at the time and I certainly hope to see it again. There was plenty of other sealife as well, though we didn't see any hammerheads. You may have better luck in November when the water is colder.

Belicasag was also great and much closer to Alona. The soft corals there were superb, though I don't remember seeing as many big fish as at Cabilao.

Thanks to all who responded.

Manhattandiver,

It would be great if you can share your experience upon your return.

Are you going anywhere else in Phil? I may be going to Southern Leyte for a short trip as well.

Will post my experience upon return.

Diver69

diver69:
Manhattandiver, It would be great if you can share your experience upon your return. Are you going anywhere else in Phil? I may be going to Southern Leyte for a short trip as well. Diver69

The current plan looks like Moalboal (approx. 8 dives), Cabilao (approx. 9 dives), Malapascua (approx. 6 dives, 4 of which will be tech dives) and then Southern Leyte (approx. 8 dives). I'll be diving with Savedra, Polaris, Exo-Tech and Peter's, respectively. I plan to spend one or two days in Cebu in between. I spoke with Polaris and they are arranging transportation from Moalboal to Cabilao. I'll post a trip report for everyone when I get back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom