Dive Report: Kauai South Shore [Long]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-=>Larry<=-

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Kauai Dive Report - May 25 2002-May 28, 2002

My family & I had the pleasure of scoring a week of timeshare from one of the nephews this year [YEA!!!] - That and 160000 frequent flyer miles and what seems to be about that many calls to American Airlines - - and we’re off to Kauai!

I’m just going to deal with the Dives we took in this report - I’m also going to write a similar one about our snorkeling - and merely offer tourist observations when people ask or it seems appropriate to comment!

First out - I spent a fair amount of time reading all the tourist books & websites [Including my two favorite dive boards!] and had targeted “Bubbles Below” as the operator that is roundly praised by just about everyone. What I didn’t catch on to is that you just about have to make a reservation before hitting the island to be able to dive with them [It might just be that I was there over Memorial Day weekend]. Anyway - coming in nearly as well recommended in the guidebook was “Mana Divers ” - - - I ended up SO PLEASED with these guys that I did all three of the dives I did with them - and that was breaking my original plan {to do primarily shore diving and do a lot of that - and to take one [1] boat dive as sort of a treat! }
Pleased for me includes: Lots of service, knowledgeable folks checking and double-checking your equipment as well as all of theirs. - - Good boat & area briefing before we even left the dock, not too much & not too little either - a serious ecological and biological component to both the briefing and in the conversations I had routinely. - - - and they ran the dive so that the newest of the divers were quite comfortable and returned safely while my boys & I were able to use our whole tanks and ascend some time later with the divemaster.

Downside: Diving in Hawaii is EXPENSIVE - - -The operators all run pretty similar - but a rental costs about what I think a shore dive would normally go for elsewhere [40-50$] the shore dive was similarly related to a boat dive elsewhere [~75$] AND it hit me for nearly $100 for every boat entry!!!! - - - Oh well - I’m on vacation - I get the “Free” dives at home!

Dive Day 1: 2-tank Boat dive from Port Arthur - - Ken {Captain}, Francisco {DiveMaster}

Dive 1: Cup Coral Cathedral - - a lava/coral head with a large swim-through , cup coral and flat plate coral - 60 ft vis - Francisco is just amazing at spotting interesting life, pointing it out to everybody AND remembering it when you get back to the boat [Is my age showing ????] Saw a number of spiney lobsters, a couple of “Crown of Thorns”, several moray eels - whitemouth & yellow marginal - Fran pointed out the Domino Damselfish [a endemic species to Kauai] and the Banded Angelfish [a relic species] near the end of the dive, he hunted down 2 octopus’ - one of them escaped pretty quick, the other of them - I got to hold & get suckered a little bit!, weird feeling! at the very end of the dive, he pointed out a zebra flatworm - oddlooking but VERY pretty!
Air: 80F, Water: 78F 73 feet for 47 minutes

Dive 2: Hale o honu [likely misspelled] - “House of the Turtles” - - - another lava/coral head - This is a resting place & cleaning station for the green sea turtles AND THEY WERE EVERYWHERE. Probably saw 30-40 individuals throughout the dive, a couple of times 5-8 all in the same area and almost all the time there was one in sight! - WOW. In addition to the turtles - there was a whitetip shark and a very impressive school of Hellers Baracuda that cruised through. I also noted finding shrimp inside the coral a several sea urchin - both black and white&black. The special extra for me is that we spotted a Frogfish! - I trid to get my son to take a picture, but he choose not to “cause it just looks like a rock” @#$%^&*()
Air 85, Water 78 64 feet for 54 minutes

Dive Day 2: 2-tank Shore Dive off Koloa Landing - - - Robbie {DiveMaster]
I’m back on my original plan - getting an orientation dive so that the boys & I can shore dive every day - - best laid plans.........

Dive 1: Koloa Landing is an old boat launch - rocky shore which goes to sandy bottom pretty quickly as you go out - you can tour right or left along the lava from there - The wave action was a little more than we cared for [~2 feet] - stirred up the sand & lowered the vis to maybe 30 feet. Also gave me a bit of a time on my first entry.
I don’t have nearly the notes from these dives. - - Our quest on this dive was the moray eels - we saw a number, mostly yellow mouth and yellow fringe morays. We were looking for a rare little one that sort of looks like a dragon - but didn’t see him! - Also saw two more turtles and a big ugly crab!
Air: 85F, Water 78F - - - 45 feet for 39 minutes

Dive 2: Koloa Landing - Left turn!
Similar dive, this time I took note of trumpet & coronet fish, surgeon fish, LOTs of bluestripe yellowfin - - and the very blue, cute boxfish.
Air & Water similar - 47 feet for 49 minutes

At this time I am moved to buy - “Hawaii’s Fishes - A guide for Snorklers Divers & Aquarists” by John Hoover - - - - There are way too many different fishies cruising by to comprehend and in particular, to remember, them all!

But - - here’s where my plans change - my dive partners for all those planned shore dives [teenaged boys] - they decided to try surfing - - - that became their plan for the rest of the vacation - except - We’ve GOT to do a night dive! - - - so that was it.......

Dive Day 3: Night Dive - another boat dive out of Port Arthur - Ken [Captain} - Robbie [DiveMaster] and ____________ [ DiveMaster] - and the 3 of us only!!
We cruised by a dive site called “Camp 1” with a view of a sugar plantation where hundreds were killed by a tsunami decades past - - - The current was a little strong there - so we moved on back to Hale o Honu. Watched the sun set past Niihau - and off we go!
The turtles were mostly gone this dive [only saw 3 or 4!] - so the large attraction was the morays, they were out & moving around - saw several of all of the species and a really BIG white marginal! - - - A most interesting cave filled with lobsters [Yum] - - - Fish: similar to the others, but now I know a little more about them! - Yellow Tang, Common Longnose butterflyfish, Moroccan Idol [or perhaps the Pennant Butterflyfish] - A LARGE boxfish - and a number more of smaller versions of the ugly crab.
The treat: - A Spanish Dancer Nudibranch - Once more I got to hold it briefly and definitely admire it as we returned it to it’s place!
61 feet for 41 minutes - - - - cooler air, but the water’s the same!

BTW - I was DMing in Lake Travis a week after my return - need I tell you it was not nearly as enjoyable as it was before!

Back
Top Bottom