Corrugated hose wear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DallasNewbie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife has a Zeagle BC, and where the corrugated hose comes off of the dump valve, it is showing some wear. I noticed that the hose makes a fairly sharp bend when it comes over the shoulder, and the rubber is starting to split just a little bit in the corrugation. There's no hole, and it doesn't look like it is close to perforating. Is this normal, or should I get the hose replaced?

DallasNewbie:
My wife has a Zeagle BC, and where the corrugated hose comes off of the dump valve, it is showing some wear. I noticed that the hose makes a fairly sharp bend when it comes over the shoulder, and the rubber is starting to split just a little bit in the corrugation. There's no hole, and it doesn't look like it is close to perforating. Is this normal, or should I get the hose replaced?

For $15?

Get it replaced...no brainer.

You can do it yourself, pull back the hose, push out the pin that holds the cable in place, swap the hose, put the pin back in through the cable, secure it with cable ties and your done. Simple as that.

I have no problem replacing the hose if that's what is needed, but I don't want to do it unecessarily. The BC is only about a year old, and if this is normal wear, then I don't want to replace the hose every year if I don't need to. I guess I will take it in and have it looked at.

DallasNewbie:
I have no problem replacing the hose if that's what is needed, but I don't want to do it unecessarily. The BC is only about a year old, and if this is normal wear, then I don't want to replace the hose every year if I don't need to. I guess I will take it in and have it looked at.

This is normal wear, rubber becomes brittle, cracks, splits, etc.

Trust me, save yourself the money of "having it looked at" and just replace the hose. Corrugated hoses are the only real expendable part of BC's. Anything else starts to go and then you really should wonder.

It happens, the hose gets nicked, pulled on too hard, or a host of other things and leaks.

Replace it if its wearing someplace. It doesn't seem like something that should wear out in a year though under normal circumstances. I used one BC for 10 years and the only time I've needed to replace a corrugated hose was when some critter chewed a hole in it. My husband has had 2 BCs for like 8 years each and never needed a replacement.

Damselfish:
It doesn't seem like something that should wear out in a year though under normal circumstances. I used one BC for 10 years and the only time I've needed to replace a corrugated hose was when some critter chewed a hole in it. My husband has had 2 BCs for like 8 years each and never needed a replacement.

Damsel is correct - the hose shouldn't normally wear out in a year of normal use.

Take it to your dealer and let them have a look at it...

Scott

I definitely wouldn't say it's worn out. There's no hole yet, just cracks in the surface of the hose. I'll take it in to Scubatoys this weekend and see what they say. Thanks all. BTW Scott, my wife loves the BC.

I don't think it's dry rot. The hose is still plenty pliable. It's just the first couple of grooves right past the zip ties, and it looks like what you would expect to happen if you pulled the hose until the corugation split. I'm sure the guys at Scubatoys will tell me it's nothing, but we're about to leave on a trip, and at this point I'd feel like an idiot if I didn't get it checked out and it springs a leak. You can just barely see it in this picture.

DallasNewbie:
I don't think it's dry rot. The hose is still plenty pliable. It's just the first couple of grooves right past the zip ties, and it looks like what you would expect to happen if you pulled the hose until the corugation split. I'm sure the guys at Scubatoys will tell me it's nothing, but we're about to leave on a trip, and at this point I'd feel like an idiot if I didn't get it checked out and it springs a leak. You can just barely see it in this picture.

Its just the way the rubber is. When rubber stretchs and contracts as well as when its new, you get that white powder type look on it. I see no cracks or dry rot. I just replaced the corrugated hose on my Zeagle BC (1998 Scout).

One spare item you should bring with you on dive trips is a corrugated replacement hose. Its between $12-18 at most shops. When mine went it took me 2 min. to replace. Its really not a big deal.

You never know what could happen. You could accidentally nick the hose with a knife, catch it on a wreck, tear it in transit, etc...

Back
Top Bottom