Snorkel Report: Kauai South Shore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-=>Larry<=-

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Kauai Snorkel Report - South Shore,

I don’t see many snorkeling reports - so I hope I’m not breaking some unwritten rules! - - - but - I will hold that at least at the area I was at on Kauai - - The reef fishies are every bit as good, perhaps better, in the shallows - AND - you can do this virtually any time you want - AND - it’s free!

In addition - I have an ulterior motive here - my sweetheart doesn’t dive, or even swim very well - so after a number of years working up to it - she’s getting pretty good at snorkeling around with me!

25 May - Lydgate Park [East Shore]
A very protected area - the snorkeling area is totally closed off by a breakwater - I would guess it gets up to about 8 feet deep at the most. Mostly sand with a few lava/coral heads scattered in the deeper portion. We primarily cruised up and down the inside of the breakwater - Brigid loved it - saw lots of fish.
Hawaii Sergeant, many different butterflyfish, goatfish, white spotted Toby, Yellow fin .....

26 May - Lawai Beach - - - This is right outside our resort, so I was particularly interested in getting out there. The beach is open to the sea, but the breakers are on an outer reef that’s about 100 yds out. - more lava at the beach & shallows - then to scattered lava/coral heads - then more sand as it gets deep. One of the more interesting parts of those lava/coral heads is that it seemed there were little urchins in nearly every hole & crevice!
Fish: Pennant Butterflyfish, pipefish, orangespine unicornfish, Scribbled Filefish !!, more goatfish, ....
Disaster! - - Brigid’s headache gets really bad in the wave action - looses breakfast & half a day :-(

29 May AM - Poipu Beach - conditions sort of halfway between the other two - technically open to the ocean, but the outer lava is high enough that it’s fairly protected. [The boys are into surfing now - so we were waiting for them!]
Fish: Moorish Idols, Unicornfish, lots of needlefish right at the surface, bluestripe snappers
Brigid’s happy in the water again! :)

29 May PM - - a quick stop again at Lydgate Park after we cruised to the far North end of the island.
Fish: Blue Tangs & Unicornfish - Large ones! - lots of wrasse around the breakwater rocks - schools of mullet - Orangeband Surgeonfish - - - A very nice way to end the day!

30 May AM - One last dip for me before we leave, the packing is near done and the plane takes off at 2PM :-(
Lawai Beach - much more vis than the other 2 - but also more wave action. A highlight for me - this time, I clearly recognized the humuhumunukunukuaapuaa !! - the state fish of Hawaii - Picasso triggerfish for those of you that don’t do long words. Also - grey chub - big ones 12“-18” and in schools of a couple of dozen, Convict Tang

Too bad we have to go - I’m almost getting to recognize some of these!!!!

You missed the best one-Mahaulepu Beach. Right after Hyatt Hotel in Poipu, about 4 miles on gravel road, through pineapple and avocado plantation, next to Gillin House.

If you are in Kauai during the summer, I'd definately recommend the north side of the island for snorkeling, especially Ke'e Beach and The Tunnels .

Both offer exceptional snorkeling (The Tunnels also offers interesting, easy diving as well) in the summer, but the surf in the winter makes the south side of Kauai a better choice.

Back
Top Bottom