Regged for DIR-F

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, I did it and registered with Bob Sherwood for GUE DIR-F class on Aug19-21st. Am excited to get it done.

--L1234

Good for you. Please post about your experience after the class if you can. I am going to take the class in Nov. and I can't wait.

Taking it in September. I'm stoked! There are some really good people involved with DIR in my area who introduced me to the concept. Bob Overstreet is a DIR guy, and explained the basics to Penny and I. It'll be a looooong time before I get close to the skills he's got. But, one has to start someplace, it may as well be at the begining doing it right. :)

You would be suprised how quickly it will come together for you if you put the time in. Just ask Bob what a year and a lot of diving does.

I assume you are taking it with the Brandon and Scot. I know someone taking it then and plan to be there as well just for the fun of it. Well, also to take a quick ride on one of Brandon's scooters :)

Randy43068:
Taking it in September. I'm stoked! There are some really good people involved with DIR in my area who introduced me to the concept. Bob Overstreet is a DIR guy, and explained the basics to Penny and I. It'll be a looooong time before I get close to the skills he's got. But, one has to start someplace, it may as well be at the begining doing it right. :)

just finished taking the course yesterday at tech asia with gue instructor martin lorenzo. it was awesome the skills i learned have changed me forever. my buoyancy and trim has improved immensely. i also got recently got certified AOW padi like 3 weeks ago and i feel cheated out of the course,

Dan Gibson:
You would be suprised how quickly it will come together for you if you put the time in. Just ask Bob what a year and a lot of diving does.

I assume you are taking it with the Brandon and Scot. I know someone taking it then and plan to be there as well just for the fun of it. Well, also to take a quick ride on one of Brandon's scooters :)

Dan, thank you for the information and moral support.

You’re right the training is with Brandon and Scot. I've talked with Brandon a couple of times on the phone about the class, and the equipment I'll need. He's a really nice, and smart guy.

After talking with Bob, Brandon, and a few people here on SB I've come to realize that the DIR method is wholly misunderstood by the diving community at large. That’s not to imply that I know much about DIR at the moment, I don’t. But the things I heard about DIR were that they are “a bunch of nuts.” Then again….. <laughing>

The “DIR” people I've met are really nice, willing to help, and smart. I’ll grant you, as with anything, there are those who are total zealots with no tolerance for anything outside of their belief system.

I'm really excited about this because it seems like this will be a 3 day seminar/education with some substance. I took my PADA advanced last year but didn't feel that there was much to it. Taking it didn’t make me an advanced diver, but taking it did give me more confidence diving deeper water.

I look forward to meeting you in September. (and taking a spin on the scooter!)

Randy

Randy43068:
After talking with Bob, Brandon, and a few people here on SB I've come to realize that the DIR method is wholly misunderstood by the diving community at large. That’s not to imply that I know much about DIR at the moment, I don’t. But the things I heard about DIR were that they are “a bunch of nuts.” Then again….. <laughing>

The “DIR” people I've met are really nice, willing to help, and smart. I’ll grant you, as with anything, there are those who are total zealots with no tolerance for anything outside of their belief system.
Randy

People fear and ridicule what they don't understand. I've seen nothing but rave reviews from folks that took DIR-F, but not once have I heard someone come back from one screaming and yelling about "Obnoxious All Black Koolaid Kult". In fact the only negative things I hear are "Wow I was a bad diver" or "That video was embarassing".

Just another reason why folks should not knock it until they've actually tried it.

Alright, cliche bucket is empty, I'm done.

lord1234:
So, I did it and registered with Bob Sherwood for GUE DIR-F class on Aug19-21st. Am excited to get it done.

--L1234

I'll probably be taking the class with you as well as long as my work schedule can work out. I've taken it once already with Cody Gardner down in FL, but looking forward to working with Bob.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom