Zeagle Ranger fit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmpaq20

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a had this BCD for 2 years and I love it. I am expereicing an issue when I am at depth in a horizontal position. The bottom end of my BCD is sliding towards the left. I have my straps on tight as well as my cumberbund (as tight as I feel comfortable with it. My weights are evenly distributed so I am at a loss. It is just a bit annoying.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys. Dave P

What is the air distribution in the wing? If your weight is evenly distributed, then more air in one side of the wing would cause the Ranger to slide (or roll you).

Also, a crotch strap helps really keep the BC on you. While you think you are horizontal, you may not truly be. As the result, it may lift up a little and shift.

ae3753:
What is the air distribution in the wing? If your weight is evenly distributed, then more air in one side of the wing would cause the Ranger to slide (or roll you).

Also, a crotch strap helps really keep the BC on you. While you think you are horizontal, you may not truly be. As the result, it may lift up a little and shift.

I do not know what the air distribution is. How can I find this out?
I just add air through my power inflator. "As the result, it may lift up a little and shift" That is actualy what it feels like it is doing.

How comfortable are crotch straps for guys?

dmpaq20:
I have a had this BCD for 2 years and I love it. I am expereicing an issue when I am at depth in a horizontal position. The bottom end of my BCD is sliding towards the left. I have my straps on tight as well as my cumberbund (as tight as I feel comfortable with it. My weights are evenly distributed so I am at a loss. It is just a bit annoying.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys. Dave P
I

I have somewhat the same problem. As whas pointed out it may be air distribution. I made sure my weights were equal but I had a extra pouch that I had attached to my right side cumberbund strap. I had a magnetic slate and an extra light. I kept rolling very slightly to the right. I took the flashlight out and this helped some and may have been the weight or just drag. I was partnered with a DM and a even newer diver with me on the right side. I tended to swim with on my right side to keep everyone in sight and when I released some air using the lower dump valves I got more from the left side of the bladder. I felt around and due to my position I was actually adding a very slight amount more to the left side causing the roll. I emptied everything and went horizontal and the roll went away. Now my BC does seem to get a little looser at depth but that is probably due to the compressibilty of my natural insulation. i.e. fat

I would say that it is the air in the bladder. You might try going bottom up and then feel back and see how much air is in each side. If this is really annoying, I think Zeagle makes a donut bladder.

dmpaq20:
Any ideas?
Thanks guys. Dave P

dmpaq20,

Thanks for your Zeagle question!

The biggest problem with side to side imbalance, without extra accessaries attached, is usually caused by the tank being clamped down off center.

Have you found this to be a repeat problem? Or is it just the last experience?

Here's the best way to avoid any out of balance setup:

Slide your BC down onto your tank until the top cam band is about one inch past the crown, onto the flat of the cylinder. Clamp it there, being sure it is perpendicular to the valve opening. Now look down the backpack from the inside and make sure the pack is straight and flat onto the tank. Shift the bottom of the pack to the center if necessary, and clamp the bottom band.

If using an aluminum tank, put 2 to 3 lbs of the total weight required, in each pocket of the rear weight system. No more. If the tank is steel leave them out.

Do not overweight!

Do a proper weight check with a 500 psi tank at the surface.

Pony tanks are classic at throwing the diver off balance. Practice without one. When using one remove 2 lbs from the pony tank side.

If all things are centered, any air not evenly distributed could be right or left, depending on your position at the time. Rock your body to the opposite side to shift the air to the center.

Note: Overweighting will aggravate all buoyancy control issues.

Let me know how it goes!

Chad

Chad Carney
Zeagle FL Rep
TDI/SDI Instructor 250

Chad Carney:
dmpaq20,

The biggest problem with side to side imbalance, without extra accessaries attached, is usually caused by the tank being clamped down off center.

Slide your BC down onto your tank until the top cam band is about one inch past the crown, onto the flat of the cylinder. Clamp it there, being sure it is perpendicular to the valve opening. Now look down the backpack from the inside and make sure the pack is straight and flat onto the tank. Shift the bottom of the pack to the center if necessary, and clamp the bottom band.

If using an aluminum tank, put 2 to 3 lbs of the total weight required, in each pocket of the rear weight system. No more. If the tank is steel leave them out.

Do not overweight!

Pony tanks are classic at throwing the diver off balance. Practice without one. When using one remove 2 lbs from the pony tank side.

If all things are centered, any air not evenly distributed could be right or left, depending on your position at the time. Rock your body to the opposite side to shift the air to the center.

Let me know how it goes!

Chad

Chad Carney
Zeagle FL Rep
TDI/SDI Instructor 250

Chad,

Thanks for your suggestion. You answer was very timely as I was diving in the Key Largo the day that you sent you comments.

Just to let you know I have no pony tank nor nothing extra attached to my vest. (I do not use a snorkel). It happens almost always and can vary in nature.

I took some extra time in installing my BCD this morning. I started the straps from top to bottom per your suggestion. In doing so I was making the vest as straight as possibe. It made a difference but I am not 100% there yet.

Question: I have a vest that is 2 years old and doesn't have a rear weight pocket, will that help this situation? I have been toying with getting a set just to be used for trim. Are they worth it?

Thanks for your help, this is huge for me!

Dave

Chad Carney:
dmpaq20,

Do not overweight!

Let me know how it goes!

Chad

Chad Carney
Zeagle FL Rep
TDI/SDI Instructor 250

Chad,
Thanks. That makes the most sense of any idea I have heard of all. I do have the Zeagle "pocket" strapped on my right side cumberbund strap. I rolled slightly before I put it on also. I switched from aluminum to steel and took all the weight out of the rear pockets. I am brand new and haveing a ball getting this right. Thanks for the suggestions. I think I might put some marks on my tank to indicate the exact centerline to aid in the future.
Dan

dmpaq20:
Chad,

Thanks for your suggestion. You answer was very timely as I was diving in the Key Largo the day that you sent you comments.

Just to let you know I have no pony tank nor nothing extra attached to my vest. (I do not use a snorkel). It happens almost always and can vary in nature.

I took some extra time in installing my BCD this morning. I started the straps from top to bottom per your suggestion. In doing so I was making the vest as straight as possibe. It made a difference but I am not 100% there yet.

Question: I have a vest that is 2 years old and doesn't have a rear weight pocket, will that help this situation? I have been toying with getting a set just to be used for trim. Are they worth it?

Thanks for your help, this is huge for me!

Dave

Dave,

I'm glad that helped.

The buoyant 80 aluminum tank is a problem for many divers, and many find that about 4 lbs in the rear weight system is the best place to counter for it. The rear weight pockets are easy to install and not expensive.
If a diver feels rolled at all by the tank after adding rear weight, I'd recommend moving about half the weight to the hip pockets.

I prefer steel DIN tanks.

Dan,

It looks like it won't be long before you'll have lots of time to dive!

Chad

Chad Carney:
Dave,

I'm glad that helped.

The buoyant 80 aluminum tank is a problem for many divers, and many find that about 4 lbs in the rear weight system is the best place to counter for it. The rear weight pockets are easy to install and not expensive.
If a diver feels rolled at all by the tank after adding rear weight, I'd recommend moving about half the weight to the hip pockets.

I prefer steel DIN tanks.

Dan,

It looks like it won't be long before you'll have lots of time to dive!

Chad

Chad,

Is this issue unique to the Ranger? I am still curious about the rear weights.
I realize that they benefit you on the surface but I am used to the tendency of the inflated Ranger to push my face into the water. Specifically what do the rear weights buy you at depth? I am think that I could trim this off with small weights (keeping this weight inclusive and not added to my total weight attached to me.

Also, this trip was my first time out with a new 50D regulator, awesome breather, real smooth at any depth.

Thank you sir, Dave P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom