BC for a tiny woman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toolbox-13

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,
I have a question I am getting my daughter her OW cert next month and want some help in choosing a BC for her. she is very tiny 5' 0" and a size 1, any other tiny women out there that can recomend a BC for her. I dive a Genesis Recon and I love it but that is way too much for a little one. Looking for something compact and light she will probally be diving a 40cf tank. Thanks for any help anyone can give...:)

How about a backplate and wing? *ducks* With an aluminum plate, the total weight could be under 5 pounds, (2# plate, 1# of hardware, wing weighs maybe 2#) and they're very portable. If a standard length backplate is too long, several people (FredT, Koplin, probably others) make a 'short' backplate. However I would advise that you try a regular one first, as it will most likely fit.

As for the tank.....the standard AL40 is 24" long...only 2 inches short of an AL80. Heres a table: http://www.luxfercylinders.com/products/scuba/specifications/us_imperial.shtml

I suggest a 50 CF, 19 inches long and 21#, which should still be quite light enough for your daughter, and much shorter. If she does find that she enjoys diving, later on she'd probably like the PST E7-80. This is a HP steel tank that holds 80cf, but it's still only 20" tall.

In fact while reading the data on the E7-80, I noticed something I didn't know about; PST makes a E7-65; 65cf, 16.75" tall, and 23#.

My wife is also small and I recently bought her a Zeagle Zena and she loves it. Like all their BCs, they come in several different sizes and are can be adjusted to different body types. She also loves the front with is neoprene with a zipper. Much more comfy than the conventional buckles. I will only dive with Zeagles due to their quality and great customer service (plus they are made in the US!).

You should check on out for her.

Dive Rite's Transpac II has modular components that can be swapped out for a custom fit, and they come in sizes for children through large adult. It should be easy to get her into something that will fit her very well if you go that route.

My Wife is fairly small also 5'3" and 100 lbs and she loves her backplate and wings. First BCD that actually fits her right and doesn't feel like it's hanging off her...

Thanks all for the great advice....we will give a couple of them a try and see what she likes best...:)

My wife saw the thread (cause she's small too) and she made me write to recommend the TransPac II as well. She dives a backplate here for cold water, but her preference is for the TransPac II.

My petite wife also loves her Dive Rite TransPac II, in XS size.

FWIW, the market in pre-owned stuff in XS size is pretty limited - we found her XS TP II with Jr. Wings for $150, pre-owned.

Toolbox-13:
Hello all,
I have a question I am getting my daughter her OW cert next month and want some help in choosing a BC for her. she is very tiny 5' 0" and a size 1, any other tiny women out there that can recomend a BC for her. I dive a Genesis Recon and I love it but that is way too much for a little one. Looking for something compact and light she will probally be diving a 40cf tank. Thanks for any help anyone can give...:)

If you are expecting her to grown further, I would agree with others that modular systems like BP+Wing, TransPac, and etc. provides more flexibilities for the future. But if you won't expect her built to change from now on, might want to consider Aqualung Wave Jr.

I have a friend who is very tiny too. Current size XS market BCD is too large for her. She went out and get the Wave Jr. and has been very happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom