Diving report around Mactan, Cebu. Just FYI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chip104

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys,

Just came back from a weekend in Mactan, Cebu. Did 2 dives Saturday (mid morning then early afternoon), 2 dives sunday (late morning, then mid afternoon).

The 1st dive was at the Tambuli reef wall off Mactan. It was supposed to be a drift dive but the current wasn't strong enough and didn't take us very far. There's also a small plane wreck just above the wall where we exited (I think it's around 75-60 ft deep). There's little to no coral life growing on it but it was still pretty cool cause of the fishes around it.

2nd Dive was Hadsan Reef. Another wall and drift dive but again, current wasn't strong enough. In the shallows (< 60ft) alot of anchors are dropped which wrecked quite a few corals so we spent sometime propping them up. Still a lot of cool things to see. Divers put tires down to attract coral settlement. A lot of sea snakes--I saw about 8+ in the area we covered, Nice group of lionfish (5+ which is the first time I've seen so many grouped together. Is that common?), to name a few things. We also tried to fin out to see if there were any whale sharks, which apparently venture into this area this time of year, but I got ear squeeze so we had to turn back (dam newbie :) )

For both dives Vis was pretty good--around 60ft. Apparently better than most weekends this time of year said Booboy, who was guiding us. In the morning it was sunny but became light cloudy by the afternoon. Still didn't change the vis.

Sunday we went to Hilutungan. Did 2 dives there. Very nice place--in the morning it was kinda crowded in the shallows cause of the snorkellers but they all clear out around lunch time. They have some nice schools--yellow snappers, bat fish, bolinao, jack fish. Acutally got to see the jack fish feeding on the bolinao which was pretty awesome. Apparently happens every 2pm. The vis in the morning was really nice, at around 80ft I could look up and see the massiveness of the wall. The second dive it was raining and dark cloudy. The vis dropped considerably, to about 20-15ft.

I did the dives with liquid assets. Thanks for info subzero! On the website referenced by subzero it was $25 per 2 dives with equipment rental, but when I went I was charged $25 per dive (maybe it was the balikbayan accent that pegged me :) ). I didn't mind paying because the experience was worth it and the owner (BooBoy Mancao) took us out on all 4 dives. It was very personable service and he included lunch on the boat (which we had during the SIs--puso and inihaw manok...mmmm....). Also, $25 per dive is the regular price around the area, most don't include the equipment in the price.

As for the equipment rented (BCD, regulator), it is not the newest stuff on the market, but nonetheless, worked well enough. I didn't have any problems with it nor did I feel unsafe using it. I guess the only qualms I had about the equipment was that the tanks were filled to just 2900 psi. I could have spent more than an hour each dive if filled over 3000! :)

Just FYI, it was possible to rent the banca for the entire day. Each dive is then $20 (includes equipment, most likely cheaper without equipment rental), incase anyone is interested. We had the nicest and biggest banca out of all the others there--very spacious and had matresses to lie down. There's a grill and stove where you can cook your lunch.

I would recommend liquid assets to anyone who likes their service very personable and has no qualms about the equipment they rent (provided that it is properly maintained). Booboy is very well known around the area and knows the area well. Although he has people working for him, he always tries to lead the dives himself. It was an overall great experience and would definitely go back to them next time I dive around the Mactan area again. I'll definitely checkout Nalusuan then. As a newbie diver, I enjoyed the sites visited because of the assortment of fishes and +300 coral species.

Hope this help for anyone going or thinking of going soon. If you want more info, just give me a holla.

very very nice. while your at it and if you have time you should check out malapascua. best site for thresher sharks. its quite a trek though.

Ah Mactan. Another place to try is the Marigondon Cave. Huge cave so not a problem. You can hang around the mouth. There is also some chance of seeing threshers at Tingo Point. If not its a pretty cool wall anyways.

Buboy is a living legend in Cebu diving. Did he fall asleep on you during the SI?

Spoon:
very very nice. while your at it and if you have time you should check out malapascua. best site for thresher sharks. its quite a trek though.

malapascua is definitely on my list to visit. There's some good info about it in this forum which enticed my interest. Maybe during the semestrial break I'll head up with my cousins for 2-3 days. You know, my cousin who lives in cebu says that it's possible to take a boat trip to malapascua and it'll take only 45 mins - 1 hr. Have no idea if it's true or not. Panglao is another place I'll be heading next time I'm in that part of the Visayas.

partridge:
Ah Mactan. Another place to try is the Marigondon Cave. Huge cave so not a problem. You can hang around the mouth. There is also some chance of seeing threshers at Tingo Point. If not its a pretty cool wall anyways.

Buboy is a living legend in Cebu diving. Did he fall asleep on you during the SI?

haha, he is a living legend around there. He tried to catch some shut eye but every time he laid down someone who knew him would come by on their banca to say hello :). Then he'd say to us 'that was so and so who's a diving instructor for this LDS. I taught his uncle to dive, his uncle became a dive instructor then certified him.' So he has been around. He had some cool anecdotes during the SIs about his experiences around the area and how it's changed. From his description, wish I was diving there back in the 70s, early 80s.

He was a really good guide in the water and out. Another good thing with having Booboy as our guide is that we didn't have to pay the entrance fee to hilutungan. Saved us some extra pesos. :)

Marigondon Cave...I'll write that down in my dive book. :)

chip104:
haha, he is a living legend around there. He tried to catch some shut eye but every time he laid down someone who knew him would come by on their banca to say hello :). Then he'd say to us 'that was so and so who's a diving instructor for this LDS. I taught his uncle to dive, his uncle became a dive instructor then certified him.' So he has been around. He had some cool anecdotes during the SIs about his experiences around the area and how it's changed. From his description, wish I was diving there back in the 70s, early 80s.

He was a really good guide in the water and out. Another good thing with having Booboy as our guide is that we didn't have to pay the entrance fee to hilutungan. Saved us some extra pesos. :)

Marigondon Cave...I'll write that down in my dive book. :)
Chip104,
I'm glad it worked out for you. I just got back from Cebu myself and did 2 dives with Boboy. However, the day I went diving, the sea was rough and the viz was crappy that day.
Enrique

chip104:
Sorry to hear about the crappy day. where were you able to dive?
Oh I still went diving despite the crappy conditions, but I paid dearly for it. I was throwing up before the dive and during SI. Boboy kept asking me if I wanted to terminate the dive and I told him that I'll be fine when we're below 30 ft.

Enrique

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom