Looks promising - upped 2005 hurricane "prediction"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It seems that the forecasters who were predicting 12-15 named storms with 7-9 hurricanes are upping their estimates for 2005 to 18-21 storms with 9-11 hurricanes, and the season is really barely started in earnest!

Interesting. Since Emily passed by north of here the water has cooled quite a bit. In fact it's down right cold without a wetsuit. I was just telling my workers here that we don't need to worry about any more storms this year because Emily "sucked all the fuel" out of the ocean around here. hmmm.

Whew, that was a close one.

Hank49:
Interesting. Since Emily passed by north of here the water has cooled quite a bit. In fact it's down right cold without a wetsuit. I was just telling my workers here that we don't need to worry about any more storms this year because Emily "sucked all the fuel" out of the ocean around here. hmmm.
I was checking out the crown weather water temp feed and its showing 30C+ across most of the gulf as of 7/31, so its still warming up, not sure if its "as warm" as usual, but still seems hot to me!

As for the predictions, one guy seems to think the storms will curl east and up the eastern seaboard - but i wont hold my breath!

simbrooks:
I was checking out the crown weather water temp feed and its showing 30C+ across most of the gulf as of 7/31, so its still warming up, not sure if its "as warm" as usual, but still seems hot to me!

As for the predictions, one guy seems to think the storms will curl east and up the eastern seaboard - but i wont hold my breath!
It is probably as warm as normal, but not as warm as it was when emily formed which was above normal.

I find it interesting that the article quotes a private forcaster who predicts a hurricane will make land fall in New England...

ReefGuy:
Whew, that was a close one.

But seriously, our shrimp pond temps have dropped about 2 degrees C since Emily. A real cold snap came through here for this time of year.

cornfed:
I find it interesting that the article quotes a private forcaster who predicts a hurricane will make land fall in New England...
Wow, that's not normal. Hopefully it would dongrade to a cat 1 or tropical storm by landfall.

11 hurricanes in one year, hopefully the rest will be minor ones, I can't imagine a strong hurricane is good for the reefs.

MoonWrasse:
Wow, that's not normal. Hopefully it would dongrade to a cat 1 or tropical storm by landfall.

11 hurricanes in one year, hopefully the rest will be minor ones, I can't imagine a strong hurricane is good for the reefs.
the reefs and the storms have been around for thousands/millions of years. It's us who are killing them.

cmalinowski:
the reefs and the storms have been around for thousands/millions of years. It's us who are killing them.
Yes, humans account for some percentage of reef damage (via dynamite fishing, effluent, etc).
Howver mother nature also has a destructive paw. For example the damage to the reefs from last December's tsunami, or El Niño effects on reefs such as the Cocos.

http://www.sidsnet.org/pacific/usp/... stresses to southwest and east Pacific reefs

Question is, if there is such an augmented hurricane season this year, would we expect damage directly from the hurricanes or indirect from effects such as water temperature shifts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom