Which BCD for a big guy? Zeagle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm 6'2" and 310lbs. Lots of folks have pointed me to Zeagle for my size. Is that the right train of thought? Or another brand?

In Zeagle's, which would you recommend? I'm completely new to diving and will only be doing easy, warm dives for the forseeable future. Is the Ranger overkill for that?

one thing to consider is integrated weights, i see you are in dallas, so if it's all going to be warm water diving then you are fine. HOwever for cold water a guy your size will be wearing a lot of neoprene to stay warm, so if you want to use integrated weights then you better make sure the weight pockets are big, i know someone who bought a bcd then realised they still had to wear a weight belt because the pockets coudn't hold enough weight.

The Zeagle line are good BCs. I have 2 including a Ranger. Mine is a med and it will fit me at 5' 10 - 155 lbs and a dive buddy of mine at 6'4 and 240 so I would suspect one of the larger sizes should do quite nicely. While I like my Ranger, frankly for warm water use, esp for air travel, it's just too big. There is no need for the 45 lb bladder or the heavy duty material. I would consider the Escape or the Stiletto. Scubatoys also offers a custom Zeagle called the Brigade. My understand is that it's a Ranger harness with an Escape bladder. Any of these BC should do nicely.

I recomend a back plate and wing. This set can be fitted and adjusted to any size. As well as being an excellent set up for any type of divng.

Thanks for the info thus far. The integrated weight thing was something I was concerned about. If I ever dive in colder water with lots of neoprene, I would like to be able to get as much weight in the BCD as possible to avoid a belt. It sounds like the Ranger allows for more weight than the rest of the rec Zeagles. But I was also wondering if it was too bulky for travel. My brother who is similarly sized has one and loves it and travels with it to Cozumel.

I've owned or utilized a number of different styles of BC's; Jackets, Back Inflators, and Backplate systems, from a wide range of manufacturers. All have had their good and bad points, but my current Zeagle Stiletto is by far the best that I have ever owned. I like it best because it's well made, very simple, light weight, compact, exceedingly comfortable, highly durable, and has no inherent buoyancy. Plus, it has dual tank straps, easy to get-at pockets, plenty of attachment points, and great weight ditching - both front and rear. The only issue that I initially had with it is that it did not come with a saddle strap, which I prefer for general security and to prevent "ride-up" on surface swims. One of the best things about Zeagal is the company behind the products. When I contacted them about the saddle strap, they just added one at no additional charge!

http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/buoyancy_compensators/traveling_light/4/

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZeagleStiletto

Check'm out, and best of luck to you!

Hope this helps.

Jarrett:
. But I was also wondering if it was too bulky for travel. My brother who is similarly sized has one and loves it and travels with it to Cozumel.
i have a black diamond (don't dive it anymore) but it's similar sized. i've taken it to maui no problem, course i have a big dive case, but it fits in just fine..

Jarrett,

You won't go wrong with a Zeagle.

They're built around a "modular" concept. If one part becomes defective, it can replaced easily without having to buy a whole new B/C or sending the entire unit back to the manufacturer.

And at your size, you can probably mix and match to get the optimum component combination.

The Zeagles are all but bullet proof and the factory service and support are unequaled.

the K

I'm 6'3"at 280!
I got my Zeagle Brigade from Scubatoys.
I'm very happy with it.

I am a big guy as well, 6'3" 290 and I dive a Zeagle Scout size xl. There is plenty of room in this bc for me. It is very simple and holds 24# of ditchable weight. That should be plenty for most diving situations. It does not accomodate double cylinders that may or may not be a factor for you. I have dove comfortably with aluminum 80s, al100 and lp steel 120. There was adequate bouyancy for all of these setups. Good luck you will be very haappy with any Zeagle purchase.

E.B.

Back
Top Bottom