Pros and cons of integrated BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alhatten

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What are the pros and cons of weight integrated BCs? I am interested because I have almost no hips and have trouble with a weight belt.

Integrated weight belts don't always give you lots of options on *where* to put the weight. If that works against your ability to trim out level (where you are diving at an angle vs. perpendicular to the surface) you are going to spend more effort and use more air trying to move horizontally through the water and will have less resistance to inadvertently moving vertically (e.g. buoyancy control). I know this from personal experience. :)

Another "con" is that when you lose a weight pouch it will be a custom item and will tend to be more expensive to replace, if the local dive shops even carry them.

Of course, you can still put some or all of your weights on a weight belt, just because its weight integrated doesn't mean you have to use it.

alhatten:
I am interested because I have almost no hips and have trouble with a weight belt.
What SS said. And BTW, the DUI Weight and Trim system is a good solution for solving the issue of both weight placement and the falling weight belt.

One can also use the integrated weight system to disperse weight evenly. Some in the weight pockets, some on the belt, and some on the ankles. However when more than a little weight is needed I prefer the DUI weight system. It is not tight around my waist and I can adjust it up and down to trim myself in most any equipment configuration.

The only negative I can think of is it makes your BC pretty heavy. Depends on where you're diving, I guess, but when I'm diving in cold NorCal water with a ton of neoprene and lead, it makes switching my BC to a new tank a little bit more cumbersome. That said, I wouldn't go back to a belt for the world. It's infinitely more comfortable to have the weight in my BC instead of around my waist.

The cons mentioned above don't really apply to the ranger. You can dial in your trim with two weight pockets on the tank band, which can be moved up and down. The main pockets rest right above your hips and, for me at least, this is the perfect spot for both trim and comfort.

Should you lose one of the little yellow pouches, they can be replaced for a fairly nominal fee (you also don't REALLY need them - I forgot them on a dive trip and took some shears to a defenseless mesh bag and made some ugly but functional makeshift pouches).

Oh, and the DUI system does look like it might be the best of all worlds. I have never used one in the water, but have tried one on in the shop and it seems like a great (albeit expensive) solution.

I have the Scubapro Classic Plus and its awesome. The only con is its heavy to lug around in your lugguage on trips. So I have a Scubapro Eqautor for warm water dive trips. I cant ever imagine wearing a weight belt again.

one con...makes removing the bc underwater more difficult...alll your weight is in the bc, if you have a thick wetsuit you'lll tend to go to the surface if you are shallow..

I personally can't think of a single advantage to weight integrated BCs. They are a PITA with which to switch tanks. You are either working with a too heavy Bc that doesn't want to go where you want to put it or you are repeatedly puttling in and taking out weights. I toss fishing sinkers in a pocketed weight belt and am very happy. Your mileage may differ.

Back
Top Bottom