Canon EOS 350 vs. Nikon D70S

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nuttytoe

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I need some help.

I just lost my camera and am looking for a new one (an upgrade also). I have been looking at the Nikon D70S and the Canon 350. I have no idea which one to choose. My friend that owns a underwater photography store says that it is easy to find underwater parts and stuff for both cameras. The guy at the local photography store says that if i ever wanted to upgrade, i should go with the canon, but if i wanted to stay at my current level and not looking too seriously into upgrading cameras, nikon would work too. So now i have no idea which one to choose from, the larger screen and the double scrolls in manual mode of the nikon appeals to me a lot, but the Canon is way lighter and smaller with less numbers on the price tag. If anyone out there has any good advice or idea, please let me know. Thanks.

Both cameras are fine. The suggestion that Canon is an upgrade where as Nikon would be staying at your level is a bit outrageous I think. The difference between 6.1 vs 8 mps is pretty minimum unless you like to play number game.
For underwater use, I would not worry about the size as the only housing readily available for Canon 350 in the US is Ikelite which is pretty big. UK Underwater is supposed to be out with a housing soon but it does not have much US presence at the moment.
Both have equally small viewfinder. Nikon has one benefit over Canon 350 in that you have many more choices for housing.

Lens wise, for underwater use, Nikon still has an edge ie Nikkor 10.5mm fisheye and 70-180mm macro which Canon has no equavalent lenses.
2 separate wheels for shutter/aparture control is more convenient.
For land use in bright light, autofocus on Canon 350 seems to be a bit better but I have not seen any real comparison in low light situation ie underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom