how long can you guys hold your breath UW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
always been a fan of freediving but i cannot seem to hold my breath longer than 1:20 and thats static. my time much less when i move. i notice that my brain gives up much quicker than my body does. trying to improve my technique everyday....

First time out I did 2:46 and wanted to keep going but the instructor stopped me at that point and told me there would be another day :( ....

I was really surprised how relaxing and how much of a kick this kind of freediving was. I really should do it more often.

R..

Diver0001:
First time out I did 2:46 and wanted to keep going but the instructor stopped me at that point and told me there would be another day :( ....

I was really surprised how relaxing and how much of a kick this kind of freediving was. I really should do it more often.

R..

thats freaking long for my standards. id be happy to break the 2min barrier. ever since i was little id challenge myself to stay long UW. did you notice that your mind gave up before your body did or vice versa?

Static my best time is 4:36, swimming around I get a bit nervous after 3 minutes and head back up

If you are into spearfishing in SA you have to do it the freedive way, no scuba allowed

scubaculture:
Static my best time is 4:36, swimming around I get a bit nervous after 3 minutes and head back up

If you are into spearfishing in SA you have to do it the freedive way, no scuba allowed

man thats impressive! did you build that time up or were you always naturally close to that time? i am pretty fit and cardiovacularly above average but getting to 1:30 is quite a feat for me and id be happy to even hit 2 and a miracle to come even close to 3

First time I tried I managed just over 2 minutes.

So yeah practise practise practise, also I am a lotter fitter then I was back then which all seems to help.

OMg - I'm lucky if I doubt I can do much more than 30 seconds, I've never timed it, but that is about as long as I can go before my lungs feel like they are about to burn up. I am quite fit though, do regular exercise, so it's not like I'm a couch potato. Guess I just have to practice.

Z...

Zeeman:
OMg - I'm lucky if I doubt I can do much more than 30 seconds, I've never timed it, but that is about as long as I can go before my lungs feel like they are about to burn up. I am quite fit though, do regular exercise, so it's not like I'm a couch potato. Guess I just have to practice.

Z...

bet you could quadruple that time just on sheer will power alone.

IMO worrying about how long you're holding your breath kind of sucks the fun out of freediving. As long as you're relaxed enough to enjoy yourself and/or catch fish, then everyone's happy!

That said, though, my dives are usually between 1:30 and 1:50, with the odd dive that's 2:05 or something like that. I could probably stay underwater longer than that but haven't tried.

scubaculture:
First time I tried I managed just over 2 minutes.

So yeah practise practise practise, also I am a lotter fitter then I was back then which all seems to help.
Do you hyperventilate to get such long times?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom