Mangled pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HB Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have an Archos Gmini 400 (check out @ www.archos.com)? It is very cool; stores MP3, WAV, WMA, JPEG, JPEG & MPEG video, etc. I just got one so that I can dump my xd card after each dive. The 400 accepts CF, so I bought an Oly MACF-10 (xd-CF adapter).
Here is my problem:
Take test pics, plug in adapter & card in the 400, download pics from card to player, unplug adapter, check pics. Pics are broken up in horizontal layers (1/4s, 1/3s, 1/5s, etc.; different from pic to pic). The layers are different colors/exposures, & offset L to R.
Thinking display just can't handle resolution (@ 2300x1800), yet file photos in player show up fine. Bad card? NO! Put card back in camera (Oly c770), plug in to comp, upload, photos look great. Also, several pics (different set of, but full resolution) downloaded from comp to player look great on player; must be xd to cf adapter?! Tried a new, never used 16 MB card + 2 mo. old 256MB card; same results for both.
Bad pics are JPEG. Tried a few in TIFF, they work fine, although the owner's manual says player won't support TIFF!? On the Oly, TIFF is only @ 1600x1200, so no 8x10s/11x14s to hang on the wall!
One of my reasons for getting the player was to dump the couple of dives' video (I know, I know; shooting video w/a P&S vs. a dedicated video camera...)onto it (since video burns up so much memory), that way I wouldn't have to carry a bunch of extra cards.
Since I'm leaving for Cabo this afternoon, a new adapter is out of the ?, since it took me a week to find one in stock after checking several (12-15) local stores (2 day air from B&H in N.Y., finally).

Any ideas for correcting this problem?

So, Alcina, are you using an xd/sd/mem stick adapter or straight CF? Does yours display TIFF files?

CF card mostly, though I have loaded memory stick via usb cable/camera.

No, it only displays jpegs if I remember correctly - I never ues TIFF...I shoot RAW mostly if not jpeg. If you are seeing a display from a TIFF file, perhaps there is a jpeg file associated with it...I know that is an option with some cameras when shooting RAW, so it's the smaller jpeg that gets displayed not the actual large RAW file. It does not display RAW images either, though stores them just fine and you can easily see the file names. I don't use the machine for review much - just for storage of images.

Can you output the images through the tv etc - that the other thing I use it for...collections of jpegs to show friends/family etc

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom