HS Explorer dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Iceni

Medical Moderator
Reaction score
I recently downloaded the simularor software for the HS Explorer to have a look at what it can do and It very much like what I have seen so far as it appears very flexible and user friendly. However it is clearly a sophisticated instrument and not suitable for the inexperienced diver. Perhaps it could be compared to a Harrier STOL fighter. It can do very complex manoeuvres but it can also be used as a more simple device depending on the ability of the user to program it properly.

What I like is the ability to use the dive computer itself as a means of generating a set of tables "in the field" and to print them out on a PC at home (at least in theory) and take the computer along as backup if not the primary electronic "table". Unlike the VR3, which I understand does not, you can choose the algorithm to suit your own circumstances and the circumstances of the proposed dive (including RGBM which is to added this year, I gather). It also appears to have a very readable screen with a backlight

I have five questions around, what I consider to be it's shortcomings.

1) Although it has a buzzer, which works when you press one of the buttons (if switched on) it has no audible alarms when on a dive. For instance when you are approaching, or have exceeded, your no stop limit. Nor does it have an audible alarm to warn you that a gas change is due. Is this an oversight as both of these would be extremely useful.

2) While it allows you to look at OTUs I can find no referece anywhere about CNS oxygen toxicity. For example it gives you no warning if you have - or will exceed - the NOAA limits for oxygen CNS exposure during an actual or a planned dive, nor does it provide you with an alarm if you exceed a particular pp O2.

3) Perhaps it the is the fault of the design of the simulator program, rather than the computer itself, but when running a simulated dive the bottom timer appears to stop when you start to ascend so you cannot tally planned run times with what the computer says during decompression. It would find this annoying on a dive.

4) I think the generated decompression tables will be very useful but I am having considerable difficulties in tranferring the data into an excel spreadsheet, which is a real pain. The maker ahve noit looked at this well enough.

5) It has taken me literally hours to decipher the way the buttons are used. Now I have cracked it the code it is simplicity itself but it does not read in the manual that way.

I very much like the idea of being able to see what you are paying for before you buy and to be able to download the simulator as so many computer manufacturers rely on recommendation and word of mouth only. I can get no information about the new VR3 for example.

However I am saving my pennies. Is there a UK supplier? If there is I cannot find him! ;-(

:)

Yep, is seem to be the same design. I won't get into marketing.

(Oops the above post has dissappeared!)

Yes, I gather it is very hungry for battery life. 100 hrs only.

Cannot for the life of me understand why.

In additition there are certain features, like the strap that are not brilliant.

I hope the "mark 1" teething problems have been sorted.

Sorry about that I erased it because I noticed on the other link you gave on the message board some one already stated that it was the same computer.

Originally posted by Dr Paul Thomas
Yep, is seem to be the same design. I won't get into marketing.

(Oops the above post has dissappeared!)

Yes, I gather it is very hungry for battery life. 100 hrs only.

Cannot for the life of me understand why.

In additition there are certain features, like the strap that are not brilliant.

I hope the "mark 1" teething problems have been sorted.

The life is considerably better than it used to be.. It used to be about 30 hours max.. They ran some tests on the current design I think its actually something like 140hours... Both thge Vr3 and Abysmal explorer/ Hs-eng explorer have very similiar battery life.

Most dive computers have long time periods between samples and are only dealing with a max of 2 gases.. Both the Vr3 and AE have to deal with another gas plus they sample more often..
Both computers are designed to deal with long deco schedules and predictions so the calculations are much more complex than other computers... Most computers just figure out what the current ceiling is, while both of the other computers actually calculate the time to surface based on your current gas schedule.. much more computing power is required (to keep the display data current)and much more storage, so faster and more power hungry processors are necessary.. Even the Cochran Commander has similiar battery life times..

The straps aren't as bad as they look.. in practice it SEEMS to work better than a conventional band since the ends are spring loaded, so you set it tight on the surface and its still in place at depth... My opinion would probably change if I lost a computer, but I already have a few hundred dives on the AE without any problems with both 3mm wetsuits all the way to A duio drysuit with heavy undergarments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom