HELP w/ digital camera & housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joby

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, we are going to buy our 1st digital camera. We are divers and want to use the camera for regular everyday pictures too. We now have a Pentax IQ Zoom that we've had for 15 years. It's still a good camera, we just think we want to go digital and be able to use it underwater too.

We want to use it topside and underwater. We want a great zoom feature, simple to use and a camera that will last us for the next 10 years or so.

Our local camera shop suggested the Canon S1 IS (~$299 locally). They say it has a great zoom w/ stablization, is reliable and easy to use. It is a 3.2 mp, but they say if we only want to use it for smaller than 8X10 then it will be fine.

I have looked at online sellers and found if for $60 less than locally. Is it wise to buy it online? What if you have trouble with it? Should we go w/ a Canon authorized dealer. Some sites say they are "an authorized dealer" but when I look them up on the Canon website they are not listed.

As for U/W housings--Canon has a housing for this camera. It is a WP-DC 20. Online I have found it for ~$158 and above. Same question--is it a good idea to buy it online? Should we go w/ an "authorized dealer"?

We had an inexpensive $99 Bonica Snapper that flooded this June in Cozumel on our 1st dive. It was the 3rd year we had used it.

Suggestions?

joby:
Hi, we are going to buy our 1st digital camera. We are divers and want to use the camera for regular everyday pictures too. We now have a Pentax IQ Zoom that we've had for 15 years. It's still a good camera, we just think we want to go digital and be able to use it underwater too.

We want to use it topside and underwater. We want a great zoom feature, simple to use and a camera that will last us for the next 10 years or so.

Our local camera shop suggested the Canon S1 IS (~$299 locally). They say it has a great zoom w/ stablization, is reliable and easy to use. It is a 3.2 mp, but they say if we only want to use it for smaller than 8X10 then it will be fine.

I have looked at online sellers and found if for $60 less than locally. Is it wise to buy it online? What if you have trouble with it? Should we go w/ a Canon authorized dealer. Some sites say they are "an authorized dealer" but when I look them up on the Canon website they are not listed.

As for U/W housings--Canon has a housing for this camera. It is a WP-DC 20. Online I have found it for ~$158 and above. Same question--is it a good idea to buy it online? Should we go w/ an "authorized dealer"?

We had an inexpensive $99 Bonica Snapper that flooded this June in Cozumel on our 1st dive. It was the 3rd year we had used it.

Suggestions?

....and Forum and see if it won't give you the assistance you need. It really helped us.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=103230&page=2&pp=10

BTW, welcome to the board.

Suz

I haven't had any problems ordering online. I've used several companies and besides a dedicated camera place like B&H have found www.buydig.com very good to work with. Great delivery time, never high pressure add-on sales, items in good shape and as described.

Check out www.resellers.com for info on a particular company - be sure to READ the reviews as some people will give a bad review for things out a company's control.

Have fun!

alcina:
I haven't had any problems ordering online. I've used several companies and besides a dedicated camera place like B&H have found www.buydig.com very good to work with. Great delivery time, never high pressure add-on sales, items in good shape and as described.

Check out www.resellers.com for info on a particular company - be sure to READ the reviews as some people will give a bad review for things out a company's control.

Have fun!

Thanks for the replies so far. I appreciate the info.

I use the Canon S1Is on every dive I VIDEO. Yes I said Video. If you haven't bought yet, buy the S1 IS while you still can. Do not buy the S2 IS if you would like to take video. The Canon S1 uses a CF memory card. If you shop ebay you can find a 4GB CF Microdrive from Hitachi for about $150 that will get you about 1.5 hrs of non stop video capacity. For the S2 they have changed the memory format so the camera uses an SD memory card which maxs out at 1GB and dramatically reduces your video time which sucks when you are under water and cannot unload your card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom