OMS Built in STA ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dectek

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just received an OMS 32lb Single tank wing.
The guy who sold it to me told me it had a sewn in STA. When I saw these small tubes sewn in next to the cam strap wholes I was little apprehensive that they actually would help. My fear is that they will just get in the way if I try to use a SS or AL STA. I guess the best thing to do is rig it up and see if it is a fix or a flop.
I would appreciate any opinions on this matter.

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but figured it would follow up and help somebody doing a search some time.
Two thumbs up for these built in tubes. They allow you to keep the tank close to your back and not allow the tank to flop around at all. Great for traveling because there is one less thing to pack and is lighter.
If you do want to use this wing with a full one piece STA or the two piece ones that are positioned like the Hammerhead set up, you will have to cut the small tubes out or off.
The only reason I could think of not to use this wing as is would be to use a heavy STA for added weight.

Good to know they keep improoving their products, the last one of those wings that I saw, didn't had the built in STA, it may had been removed not sure.

From the picture seems that a SS STA may fit without eliminating the built in one.

Did you tried to fit a SS STA?

Thanks for the imput!!

You have a point. I was trying to use three non standard STAs. One was home made from 3 inch channel and the other two were in a W configuration.
There is a 2 inch gap between the tubes so a standard STA would probably fit without interference. I hope they will show up in order listed.

I have the same setup. I did NOT like the sewn-in STA.

The OMS metal STA rocks!

I have been using the same OMS 32 lb. wing with integrated STA for about a year. Never had any problems at all. Have not seen the need for a separate STA yet, and the tank mounts very securely, without wobbling or shifting.

You should be able to use other STAs depending on their design. I think you'll be very satisfied with the wing.

Back
Top Bottom