http://www.diveheart.org/

I hope people read this thread (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversjobs

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Ok, this is the issue: I'm a diving instructor and I also run some websites related with diving. A few months ago, the best thing in my life happen... me and my wife we got pregnant and now we are expecting an amazing little baby! :D

I have travel working in diving around S.E Asia, the RED Sea, Australia, and originaly I come from South America.

So after the news about my new little son.. something strange happen with me, the day I was chatting with some divers friends and I suggested that I coudn't wait to teach my son to dive...
IN THAT EXACT MOMENT: well... I had flash backs of the kids in S.E Asia, in Latinoamerica (even in my home country) and in the red sea. All this kids that in so many Dive Resort Locations"" are living in misery quite close from fancy and lovely Dive Centers. *

Ok... so that day I decided to sponsor a child.
Many of you must think... " that doesn't fix the problem" and... hey.. I agree 100% ,

So I'm starting to work on the idea of creating a project to help local kids around big diving regions.
The idea is to get people involve and next time people travel to dive in this resorts or dive destinations, at least people are aware of the social background of the people that live in the area. So many times we travel with Regulators that cost more than 1 year income of an entire family.

You must be thinking "this guy is crazy".
May be I am... but I contacted a few local organizations and they are interested in working in this nice idea.

I just think that it's amazing that you can pay over 20$ for 1 dive, and to sponsor and feed, the life of 1 of this kids, in the same region where you are diving (may be is just 15$ for a full month...

So I will love to hear from you guys ideas.

Am I a dreamer? Is this a stupid idea? Do you think dive centers will like to help? If you were in a diving community will you be willing to donate 0.50$ per dive you do? Anyone can help? (if you are good writing in different languages, graphic designer, diving publication, dive center.... lawyer... doctor... )

Anyway... to finish this long and boring post.... I remember one day when I was working in Egypt and I mention to a little bedouin kid if he wanted to be an Diving Instructor one day. And he answer that no really, that he coudn't, because his mother told him that is dangerous to dive if you are hungry... "

S*** it will be nice to try to help somehow...

Thanks for reading. Dive safe!

Are you kidding? This is a great idea. Yep, I'll donate 50 cents a dive I do. (Even if it's not at that place...) Let me know how and go from there.

Congradulations! It's nice to know someone is trying to figure out small solutions. We all know it doesn't solve the problem but it feels good trying.

Great and very inspiring idea. My prayers and best wishes for the success of this project. A whole lot of divers contributing just a little in the right direction could bring a wealth of happiness.

I agree...This is something that if you stick with, could become huge... You seem to have the right attitude, and I would be willing to help... even if its just getting LDS's to put the little change cans on the counter.. I'm sure there's an organization out there to help, and if not...one could be started... again..let me know if I can help..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom