Back Inflate vs Vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jpsexton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am trying to decide which one to get. I really find the vest style BC uncomfortable, mainly because the cumberbun is too high and they ride up. The back inflate BC looks like it would be much more comfortable but everyone says they push your face down on the surface. I really like the looks of the Genesis Tropic Weight Integrated. Any advise or opinions?

Thanks,

John

I used to dive a SeaQuest Pro QD and still have it as a back up. But I could never get the dang cumberbund tight and the bcd rode up on me all the time.

I have since switched to a DiveRite TransPlate with a Rec wing (bp and wing) and love it. I have placed my weights way back on the belt right next to the plate and when I surface I only inflate the wing enough to keep my head clearly out of the water and I have no problems with being forced forward. If I were to max inflate the wing it has that tendency....but there is no logical need to do that.

Try to find someone in your area and a pool if possible to try out some back inflate and bp and wings.

I really like the bouyancy control and how tight I can get the waist belt on my DR system.

good luck...rich

When I was hunting for my first BC, I went through a similar debate. Ultimately, what made my decision was that I wanted a BC that was going to perform best for when while it was in its intended uses - underwater. I opted for the back mount style because I wanted few restrictions on my front and sides, and I wanted great ease of mobility.

At the surface, I have never really found the BC to ever "push" me too far forward significantly such that I felt uncomfortable. What little push there is can easily be delt with by just leaning back. FWIW, I do use a combination of a weight belt and the intergraded weight pockets on the sides. By splitting between the two, I can keep the weights on the belt on my back side (which may help to keep me upright when at the surface).

I prefer the belt so I can slide it around during the dive and compensate for the weight of my pony tank off to one side as the main tank gets empty.

Anyway, I ended up with a Dive Rite Transpac BC (with the Rec Wings) and have been rather happy with it. It is simple and field maintainable - and no cumberbun!

I am pretty new to diving but my class used back inflate bcs for the pool and open water dives. We were all 100% new and had absolutely no problems. The only time it was a problem is if you have your weight too far forward AND way-overinflate the bc. Otherwise they were great. I have never dove a jacket style BC but got one with a set of used gear I just bought. Can't tell you how they compare, but I think people who are having problems with back inflate are over inflated, overweighted, or just have their weight distributed wrong.

John

I have a Scubapro X-Wing back inflate BC. Simply beautiful. Much better than the new Knighthawk.
The only thing to remember and to train for is the tendency to over inflate (the scuba's tendency, I mean). If you use it in the correct way there's seldom the need to trim. No problem at all on the surface. I tend to think it's some sort of a mith. Don't get me wrong: if you're used to jakets it might be that you over inflate and get pushed forward a bit. But it simply is a different kind of gear and must be used in a different way. Inflate gently, lean back a bit and you're set.
And one more thing I really value is the fact that it packs in very little space.

I have a SeqQuest ProQD+ (jacket style BC) and a DiveRite backplate+wing setup (similar to the back inflation). I have to say I love diving in my backplate+wing setup more. Yes, back inlation BCs does either foce you to face up or down at the surface. You can compensate it by

1) adding trim weight pockets on the tank strap
2) using a cotach strap.

With these 2 aids, I have no problem staying vertical at the surface.

And yes, don't inflate your wing fully will help ease the problem.

Hopw this helps.

I just received a brand new AquaLung Malibu BC, back inflated and weight intergrated. It fits great, leaves you with freedom of movement and didn't notice once it was trying to push my face down.

jpsexton:
I am trying to decide which one to get. I really find the vest style BC uncomfortable, mainly because the cumberbun is too high and they ride up. The back inflate BC looks like it would be much more comfortable but everyone says they push your face down on the surface. I really like the looks of the Genesis Tropic Weight Integrated. Any advise or opinions?

Thanks,

John

I dive a Zeagle Ranger and am absolutely tickled to death with it (to use a southern expression :10: ). Just feels good in the water & the quality/construction is excellent, at least in my limited-experience opinion. It's also weight-integrated with a single ripcord release, which I like, although the ripcord does not dump the trim pockets.

It's a back-inflate w/ 44lbs lift, so it can push you forward a bit.

Might try to see if you can rent a back-inflate and give it a shot.

Regards,
--'Goose

jpsexton:

Thanks,

John

John,

The "face in the water" story about back inflate bc's or backplate and wing's is partically true, but only when the gear is used incorrectly.

Two things lead to this problem:

1) Being overweighted, now you need lots of air at the surface

2) Not using a crotch strap. Without a crotch strap when you add air at the surface the rig rises, but you don't. The normal reaction is to add even more air. This results in the rig being up over your head!

Contrast this with being properly weighted, and using a crotch strap. With the right weight you only need a "puff" of air in the wing, and at the surface this puff will be right behind your neck, not down at your lower back.

With a crotch strap you and the rig rise out of the water, it's like sitting in a swing! Very comfortable, no stress.

I would very much question either the experience or motives of anybody trying to sell a conventional jacket in lieu of a Back Inflate or BP&W who claims that "back inflate shoves your face in the water" Used properly it's simply not the case.

Regards,

Tobin

I have been diving a Zeagle Ranger since 1999. I have never had my face pushed into the water. I agree with the others. Don't over inflate and distribute your weights.
I love the back inflate, no squeeze like a vest.
It is wise to see what you like before buying. Find a shop that will let you test out several styles. Take the rest of your gear and spend sometime playing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom