From Moalboal to Cabilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manhattandiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone on the board ever tried making the trip from Moalboal to Cabilao? It seems like the easiest way is to head by car to Argao and then by boat to Cabilao. The rates that I've seen for car transfers from Moalboal to Argao though are around $45 one way. This seems kind of steep to me, since Moalboal and Argao don't seem to be so far away. Is there a less expensive way to make the trip?

For the trip across the channel, I'm aware that there's a public boat that leaves from Argao for Cabilao every Tuesday and Saturday, but I don't think that will fit into my schedule. One of the resorts quoted me a rate of 1500 pesos for a one-way private boat transfer. Is this a fairly standard rate? Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Never made that specific trip but i have a bit of info that might help.

One of the quicker ways out of moalboal is to take a 'van' from moalboal town center. the vans are for hire and make the trip to Cebu City, you get a spot and wait for the van to fill up (can't remember the exact price but it was probably a couple / few hundred pesos). You could then jump off the van in Carcar and make your way down to Argaos (doesn't look very far) by either bus or jeepney. From there you are set to hook up with your ferry. As always in the phils leave plenty of time for delays, especially if your boat only leaves 2x a week (hope the sched doesn't change :wink: ) but i think you probably know that anyway.

1500P seems pretty reasonable to me for a private banca hire to do the crossing, maybe a local would get it down a few hundred P more, who knows, but I think the price sounds about right and worth it for the convenience. One idea might be to make the bancero turn it into a diving trip also and get a dive or 2 in at Cabilao even before you step foot on land. I do this from Anilao to PG - why take time out for a straight ferry when you can dive along the way!

Good luck, travelling the back roads is a fun way to go!

Scuby Dooby:
One idea might be to make the bancero turn it into a diving trip also and get a dive or 2 in at Cabilao even before you step foot on land. I do this from Anilao to PG - why take time out for a straight ferry when you can dive along the way!

That's a fantastic idea! I'll definately ask the resort if its possible. Thanks so much for the advice.

Manhattan,

scuby gave great advice. If you're into backpacking you'll enjoy the backroads of the philippines. Argao is a transport point to Loon, Bohol so it should have public transport heading to and from the place.

I should caution you though, it might be a pain in the backside to lug your equipment around using the public transport if you're not used to it--jeepneys will be cramped for space (especially for scuba equipment but they will probably allow you to put it up on the roof) and buses maybe crowded (but there'll be space for the equipment if you sit at the back). If you're up for the adventure, I say try it out. The van should be fine for space.

P1500 for a private banca is a regular rate. I did the 'ask the locals to just bring you' in Bicol region and it was the best banca ride I've ever taken (got a great shot of Mt. Mayon!). But I suggest just staying with the P1500 for convenience sake.

Have fun in the Philippines! You staying in Manila at all or just heading straight over to the Visayas?

Scuby Dooby:
One idea might be to make the bancero turn it into a diving trip also and get a dive or 2 in at Cabilao even before you step foot on land. I do this from Anilao to PG - why take time out for a straight ferry when you can dive along the way!

Scuby, Next time I go to PG I'll try that! No more Brain MV for me! :)

btw, I spent my childhood in Discovery Bay, Lantau Island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom