should i try gluing the tip of my mask strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snorkelcorey

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm located in Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada.
# of dives
0 - 24
I went snorkelling last summer in Shediac, and when I was in the water, the strap on my mask came undone. Now, I thinking of gluing it together, [ the part of themask strap goes into the clip]. If I did that, would it stay together? Or, should I just but a new new mask? I would to know what any body who dives, whether it's scuba or free diving think I should do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.Snorkel Corey P.s. I got the Mask/ snorkel set new last year at the Wal-Mart here in Moncton

maybe just a new strap is the way to go... cheap and readily available. or a new mask... cheap and readily available...
maybe you had the strap pulled way to tight... a good fitting mask hardly needs a strap.

snorkelcorey:
I went snorkelling last summer in Shediac, and when I was in the water, the strap on my mask came undone. Now, I thinking of gluing it together, [ the part of themask strap goes into the clip]. If I did that, would it stay together? Or, should I just but a new new mask? I would to know what any body who dives, whether it's scuba or free diving think I should do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.Snorkel Corey P.s. I got the Mask/ snorkel set new last year at the Wal-Mart here in Moncton

well like you were saying i snorkel like you here in florida it's nice out here but i think you should buy a new new mask because you never know if the water can have nasty ness and you don't want keep your i closed

not sure what you mean by undone or why it happened but I doubt glue would work. If the mask is decent and fits you could just get one of the neoprene straps with velcro ends, comfortable and won't come undone. Sounds like a cheap mask and if you want a cheap solution, a friend of mine wore his for years with a nylon zip tie holding that area together.

snorkelcorey:

Screwing around with stuff like that is asking for a flooded mask at the worst possible moment. You know Murphy's law? Well Murphy is a mermaid and she's out to get you.

Replace it.

And while you're at look into buying a mask at a shop that specializes in water sports. Wal-mart is for buying uncomfortable shoes that fall apart in 6 weeks. Under water you need quality gear.

R..

They're snorkeling, not underwater. Not such a huge deal. If actually freediving, or decide to take up scuba, definitely ditch the walmart mask.

Does the thing have a warrenty? Or I wonder if you can take it to walmart and say "I used this once and it broke"...

You are using a mask from Wal-Mart!!! While I don't have a problem with this wonderful American chain of stores, I certainly wouldn't reccomend using a mask from any sort of discount megastore

Back
Top Bottom