D70 owners please read!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
It would appear from further investigation (dpreview) and other members on here stating similar problems that there is a major design fault with the early D70

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=13668050

should this fail outside of your warranty it is $400 for Nikon just to look at it (according to posts on dpreview).

it might be worth sending back you camera in warranty for the work to be carried out, stating that there have been too many failures as listed on dpreview for it to be isolated.

this is a problem that Nikon should have made a product recal for.

You should contact Nikon first to make sure that you can send it back, since if there is nothing actually wrong, they may not accept the unit back for servicing of that potential problem. It is a known problem, but AFAIK, Nikon is denying that it is an issue, the so called "BGLOD".

Mine is out of warranty and they are repairing the BGLOD for no charge....should get it back any day now

Karl

At least 2 out of5 D70 that I knew of that had BGLOD were repaired for free even after warranty expired (the other 3 were still within warranty period).

Mine went green sans warranty. One guy at Nikon wanted to charge and his boss overruled him. I must have had that vesuvius look!

IMHO its seriously downright pisss poor of Nikon not to have a recall and sort this out once and for all.

whitehead:
Mine went green sans warranty. One guy at Nikon wanted to charge and his boss overruled him. I must have had that vesuvius look!

IMHO its seriously downright pisss poor of Nikon not to have a recall and sort this out once and for all.

They are not going to recall EVERY camera, however they are doing a Heck of a job fixing this issue for any and all that run into it regardless of warranty expiration... Keep in mind we are not talking about a car, so there is no danger if your camera goes south!! :crafty:

Every D70 user that has had this happen has been VERY pleased with the service provided. Heck they practically rebuilt the camera. Here is a list of what they did for one user out of warranty....

Camera (Service repair rank C)
REPL METERING FPC (I think this is the culprit of all BGLODs out there)
REPLC CCD (!!!!)
MOD VERSION UPGRADE (I have version 2 on both A and B)
ADJ METER OPERATION
ADJ CCD (guess you have to do this when you replace major parts)
CKD TTL FLASH (nice :) )
ADJ AUTO FOCUS OPERATION (bf anyone? )
GENERAL CHECK AND CLEAN (oil change + windshield wiping)

Kit Lens (Service repair rank C): (C? what? why? it was working great!)
REPL AF MOTOR (huh????)
CKD INFINITY FOCUS (yeah... it needed that)
CKD FOCUSING MECHANISM
CKD EXPOSURE
CLN LENS ELEMENT
CLN LENS UNIT
GENERAL CHECK AND CLEAN

IMO that is WAY above the call of duty...

Applause NIKON!!! :yelclap:

RonFrank:
They are not going to recall EVERY camera, however they are doing a Heck of a job fixing this issue for any and all that run into it regardless of warranty expiration...:

I have no doubt that Nikon service is very good. I had very good experience with our local distributor/service center here. The problem is only among the early units in certain batches of the product with faulty parts. I don't know what percentage of the early batches have potentially defective part but the first 4 that my group bought (within the first 2 weeks of the camera arriving in the store), we had 100% failure at one time or another. While it is not life threatening, it potentially was very annoying. One died on a divetrip when my divebuddy went alone so no pictures for her. Mine died 2 days before a trip, luckily I was able to borrow one. What happen if the camera die on your dream African Safari trip or trekking trip somewhere remote.
The camera is not exactly cheap eventhough it is considered a low end dSLR. Not everybody has a 2nd body lying around for such event.
Luckily I don't have a D70 anymore, if I have one that has not yet suffered BGLOD, when I go on my dream trip next year that will cost me about $5000, I am not going to be very thrill about relying on the D70 not dying on me! (I know, I know, housing could flood, other bad things could happen, I could lose some of my checkin stuffs etc but Nikon does not need to add another grey hair to my head on such trip :) ).

I don't think it is asking too much of Nikon to be a bit more proactive for their $1000+ product (well, in certain part of the world, it is).

clive francis:
It would appear from further investigation (dpreview) and other members on here stating similar problems that there is a major design fault with the early D70

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=13668050

should this fail outside of your warranty it is $400 for Nikon just to look at it (according to posts on dpreview).

it might be worth sending back you camera in warranty for the work to be carried out, stating that there have been too many failures as listed on dpreview for it to be isolated.

this is a problem that Nikon should have made a product recal for.
hmmmm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom