Flopping inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vjongene

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently put a DiveRite Rec wing on my BP, because the Travel wing did not provide sufficient lift. Buoyancy and trim are fine, but the inflator hose just keeps flopping around and I have to grope for it every time I want to add air or purge. Very annoying, and outright dangerous when diving in zero viz like I did last week-end. Someone told me that the older inflators were heavier and therefore landed in a more predictable place. My son, who dives a "no-name" wing with a similar inflator, has similar problems.

Would anyone have a trick for keeping the inflator in one place while not restricting its mobility (e.g. for purging)?

Thanks already.

Tie a loop of small bungie at the chest D-ring and run the hose through it. The loop should run through the loop created in the harness where it runs through the keeper. If someone doesn't beat me to it I'll take a pic tonight and put it up here for you.

Joe

Bungie cord attached to the LP hose and to the harness.

the K

I have a velcro loop at the top of my shoulder strap (just above the collar bone) and a loop of bungee attached to the D-ring keeper below it. Velcro used to capture both hoses. Bungee on just the LPI hose has caused the inflator connection to disconnect. So now I'm trying both hoses thru the bungee loop but think the solution is just the corrugated hose thru the bungee.

awap:
Bungee on just the LPI hose has caused the inflator connection to disconnect.
It will do that if you put it on the corrugated hose as well.
I use 2 pieces of inner tube to hold the inflator hose against the corrugated hose. What I do to prevent disconnection is run the LP hose under the first inner tube piece, then under the chest ring bungie, then trough the second inner tube piece, then connect it..... I'll go try to get a picture of it...

Got it! Here's the pic:

Inflator_Bungie_2.jpg

Snowbear:
It will do that if you put it on the corrugated hose as well.
I use 2 pieces of inner tube to hold the inflator hose against the corrugated hose. What I do to prevent disconnection is run the LP hose under the first inner tube piece, then under the chest ring bungie, then trough the second inner tube piece, then connect it..... I'll go try to get a picture of it...
I have always been puzzled by this configuration. One of the reasons I went to a BP / wing was that I was sick of having to go vertical to vent my BC. With an unconstrained inflator hose on my Pioneer I can lift the hose behind my shoulder and completely vent the BC from the horizontal position - love it.

If I attach my hose to the front D ring in this way it is impossible to get the hose higher than the BC and I am back to the old problem of 'gymnastic dumping'. To fix this I have dropped the LHS 'D' ring and have a loop of bungee that I pop the end of the hose into to prevent it dangling. When I really need to empty my BC - normally on ascent - I just remove it from the loop. If it gets loose it always seems to fall forward (the Halcyon inflator is pretty heavy).

Am I missing something here?

My bungee has enough stretch that it can be raised high enough to dump even when vertical. I had some black bungee that did not stretch enough. But the uncool sailboat bungee is working fine.

I just use the rear dump valve when horizontal. Works fine for me... Only time I use the inflator for dumping air is on initial descent...

Back
Top Bottom