Double 72's with #36 Halcyon Pioneer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mstudley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone ever tried something like this or think it may be possible? I have a set of steel 72's laying around that I would like to double up (just for fun) but I don't feel like shelling out for another wing at the moment. I'm pretty sure that the lift would be OK but would they 'fit' on the wing? Any thoughts?

The Pioneer is way too narrow for that, I think. As such the lift and performance would suffer badly.

mstudley:
Has anyone ever tried something like this or think it may be possible? I have a set of steel 72's laying around that I would like to double up (just for fun) but I don't feel like shelling out for another wing at the moment. I'm pretty sure that the lift would be OK but would they 'fit' on the wing? Any thoughts?

Match the proper gear and equipment with each other and you will have a more harmonious outcome.

Rec Diver:
Match the proper gear and equipment with each other and you will have a more harmonious outcome.
How zen :wink:

Not looking for what the ideal situation is.... looking to see if anyone has tried this or if they haven't what their thoughts on getting it to work are. Also not looking for "blah blah you shouldn't do that you should be using blah blah blah" responses either.

Well thanks for characterizing my post that way. However, the major lift channels on the Pioneer will probably line up perfectly with the widest part of the tanks. I can't imagine anyone's tried it, just because it's a terrible idea.

Try it in your house first and see how it goes.

pants!:
Well thanks for characterizing my post that way. However, the major lift channels on the Pioneer will probably line up perfectly with the widest part of the tanks. I can't imagine anyone's tried it, just because it's a terrible idea.

Try it in your house first and see how it goes.

Nah, that wasn't directed at anyone just kind of a heads up I suppose. Why is this a terrible idea? You can set up doubles with something like the seaquest black diamond. How is this much different?

mstudley:
Nah, that wasn't directed at anyone just kind of a heads up I suppose. Why is this a terrible idea? You can set up doubles with something like the seaquest black diamond. How is this much different?
The Pioneer wing is very narrow and designed specifically for single tanks, unlike BC's with large wide bladders like the Black Diamond or Ranger.

If you slap a set of doubles over the Pioneer you will see that the doubles are probably wider than the wing is, and there will be no room for the wing to inflate except perhaps down against your side, limiting your mobility as well as the lift ability of the wing. I haven't tried, but I never would either.

pants!:
The Pioneer wing is very narrow and designed specifically for single tanks, unlike BC's with large wide bladders like the Black Diamond or Ranger.

If you slap a set of doubles over the Pioneer you will see that the doubles are probably wider than the wing is, and there will be no room for the wing to inflate except perhaps down against your side, limiting your mobility as well as the lift ability of the wing. I haven't tried, but I never would either.

That's true about the black diamond being wider and the restrictions doubles would put on this wing. I'm not saying this is in any way a "good" idea just something to screw around with.

Back
Top Bottom