Zeagle - Big Guy - How much lift?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm going to buy a Zeagle BC tomorrow and had a last minute question. I'm 6'2", 310lbs and appear to be quite bouyant at this build. I am assuming I am going to need more weight than most when diving in the salt in Cozumel with a 3mm spring suit, but most of my dives will be in a 3mm full suit in Texas freshwater lakes.

Based on this, would you recommend me getting the Brigade (34lbs lift) or Ranger (44lbs lift)? Thanks.

I was about 30lbs less than you and my Pioneer 27# was plenty unless I made a mistake in my weighting :wink: IMO the wing only really needs to 1) compensate for gas which will be used 2) compensate for suit compression 3) support your gear at the surface this has more to do with the exposure suit than the lead.

Since you're looking at the Brigade I'm assuming you are shopping at ScubaToys? If so Larry is known for good advice.

Aloha, Tim

Jarrett:
I'm going to buy a Zeagle BC tomorrow and had a last minute question. I'm 6'2", 310lbs and appear to be quite bouyant at this build. I am assuming I am going to need more weight than most when diving in the salt in Cozumel with a 3mm spring suit, but most of my dives will be in a 3mm full suit in Texas freshwater lakes.

Based on this, would you recommend me getting the Brigade (34lbs lift) or Ranger (44lbs lift)? Thanks.

I can not really give you a good answer other than to say if you are going to purchase a Brigade, it will come from Larry, and HE is the MAN to ask. I'm betting that 34lbs of lift is more than enough.

The amount of lift that is required to keep you at the surface with a full tank and the weight that you need to sink is NOT equal to the weight you are wearing. I can float at the surface with my Ranger almost dumped at the beginning of a dive (so full negative tank).

I found, and carried to the surface 34# of weight on a dive. I had 20# of weight that I was wearing. My Ranger was likely not even half inflated to carry that load to the surface.

Ron Brandt:
A friend of mine that is close to your size requires 40lbs of lead in a 7mm wetsuit to sink..He uses a 65lb lift on his Ranger. It somehow works well for him.

Ron

40lbs of lead, :censored: that is out of Control

Just a follow up, I got the brigade and went on my first freshwater dive yesterday in a 3mm wetsuit. I started off with 14lbs. of weight and sank like a rock. I ended up using 10lbs. by the end of the day and it might have still been a hair much. So I think the 34lb. v. 44lb lift question might have been a moot point for me :)

Another one of those "2 minutes in the water versus 300 hours on Internet" moments I guess, .

Hmmm, Scott missed this one...tisk tisk tisk. :D

I didn't totally "miss it" - I left on a dive trip the day it was posted, and by the time I got home on Sunday it appeared to be well under control! :wink:

There are people on this forum who can answer questions as easily as I can, which makes it much easier on me - and I appreciate that!!!! :yelclap:

Jarrett:

The standard ranger lift would suit you fine. A 2xl vest w/ xl shoulders would move the weight pockets forward where they are designed to be. If you have to let the cumberbun it could fit better.

Back
Top Bottom