HMCS Gatineau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divedude

Reaction score
With great regret the plans to sink the HMCS Gatineau in Kingston have been shelved. The province of Ontario has a moratorium on sinking anything in any of her provincial waters. Negotiations with the province to use this sinking as a test for a new policy on intentional sinkings failed. We will continue to work toward having this moratoriun lifted, but due to financial restraints we have withdrawn our offer to buy the Gatineau.

The last I heard was that it was still going "down" but near Gananoque rather than Kingston.

Has this been scraped too?

I'm really thinking I should stop planning a visit to any "planned" sinking of wrecks --- geesh this one didn't even get in the water! hehehehe

Originally posted by DivingGal
The last I heard was that it was still going "down" but near Gananoque rather than Kingston.

Has this been scraped too?

Yes It's all done, the sinking site was to be about 5 miles west of Gananoque and 10 miles east of Kingston in 120' in protected water in the heart of the Thousand Islands. But we are still trying if the Gatineau gets sold then we may try for the HMCS Terra Nova which is coming up for decommissioning, if we can get the Ontario moratorium lifted. We also have the problem of one local dive shop owner being against the sinking. Don't ask me! I for the life of me can't figure out why a dive store would be against it.

Originally posted by divedude

Yes It's all done, the sinking site was to be about 5 miles west of Gananoque and 10 miles east of Kingston in 120' in protected water in the heart of the Thousand Islands. But we are still trying if the Gatineau gets sold then we may try for the HMCS Terra Nova which is coming up for decommissioning, if we can get the Ontario moratorium lifted. We also have the problem of one local dive shop owner being against the sinking. Don't ask me! I for the life of me can't figure out why a dive store would be against it.

What say you and I take this guy out with weights and no tank? I can't figure that out. I was really looking forward to having a vessel out there that the yahoo divers could go out on and not destroy (like some of them do with our older vessels) . . .

I assume POW and SOS are working towards getting the gov't snafu cleared up?

Originally posted by DivingGal

What say you and I take this guy out with weights and no tank? I can't figure that out. I was really looking forward to having a vessel out there that the yahoo divers could go out on and not destroy (like some of them do with our older vessels) . . .

I assume POW and SOS are working towards getting the gov't snafu cleared up?

WAK "Waterfront Alliance Kingston" is working to clear things up.
We can only hope and lend support

Originally posted by divedude

WAK "Waterfront Alliance Kingston" is working to clear things up.
We can only hope and lend support

I hope that things work out. If they have a call to help, make sure I know, I'll start rounding the troops I know.

Originally posted by Ontario Diver
Ohhhh
SH(*&^(*&^*y
D(*&(*)&
Government
A#%$##*

Well I've never heard or read such language!...... my virgin ears!......this is a family board!

But your right about the government.......

SS

The dive shop owner might have a monotary concern: take biz away from my shop but may use an environmental approach to make it look as if he/she is altruistic. Perhaps it is a safety concern: can a vessel of this sort on the edge of sport diving depth be made safe...maybe he has been talking with a Quebec coroner lately..

If this debate and submissions are in the public domain, it would be interesting to know who the shop owner is and what objections were raised so that next time at bat, this has more of a chance to fly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom