Sausage for Sherwood Avid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have decided that I want to add a safety sausage to my gear and my wife's as well. I want something that I can inflate from a safe distance below the surface in case we need to come up in a questionable unmarked area without the benefit of a dive flag. Flags are generally not required in this area. I want somehting I can add air to with my alternate second stage and then let it rise on a line. I guess we're talking about a small SMB. I've had read of a sausage that fits into the Avid's folding snorkel pocket but I can't seem to find that post. I just went through catalogs and all at the LDS and didn't find what I wanted either. It's amazing how little detail most catalogs offer.

Anyhow I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks,
Pete

PS I was thinking I was in the Lift Bag, SMB Sausage forum when I posted this. moderators are welcome to move this post at their discretion.

I use a sausage made by XS Scuba.

www.xsscuba.com

It is aprox. 6ft, orange and fits nicely in the avid snorkel pocket.

I'm no expert but it seems to work fine.

Jeffrey

Those little 4' sausages are great most of the time. When you really need it, it will be too short. I use a 6' and there have been times where I wished that I had that OMS 9'7" telephone pole.
Whatever you get, always take it with you and make sure that you can deploy it without fouling yourself with your spool or reel.

Tom Winters:
Those little 4' sausages are great most of the time. When you really need it, it will be too short. I use a 6' and there have been times where I wished that I had that OMS 9'7" telephone pole.
Whatever you get, always take it with you and make sure that you can deploy it without fouling yourself with your spool or reel.

Thanks Tom. I have read some atrticles and I can see there is a method to deploying those things I can also see where you can get into trouble. A good practice session in favorable conditions will happen for sure.

Pete

spectrum:
Thanks Tom. I have read some atrticles and I can see there is a method to deploying those things I can also see where you can get into trouble. A good practice session in favorable conditions will happen for sure.

Pete

You may find that one practice session is not enough :wink: especially if you are also trying to attach a spool to it while u/w. But it is good practice and loads of fun. I'm guessing that in order to fit in the snorkel pocket it's going to have to be a thin plastic smb. Hopefully they hold up as they don't look very durable. I could be wrong, however I like the ones made of sturdier material...

Tim

kidspot:
You may find that one practice session is not enough :wink: especially if you are also trying to attach a spool to it while u/w. But it is good practice and loads of fun. I'm guessing that in order to fit in the snorkel pocket it's going to have to be a thin plastic smb. Hopefully they hold up as they don't look very durable. I could be wrong, however I like the ones made of sturdier material...

Tim

Right Tim, I figure I'll practice until I'm comfortable with it and repeat, needed or not from time to time like all skills.

Unfortuanately it's not something heavilly stocked at the LDS so it's hard to see touch and buy, it's like pulling teeth.

I was looking at that pocket and am beginning to agree that whatever does fit in there won't be what I want/need.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom