The Mysterious B.C.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tremtech

Reaction score
I am one of those people that research a piece of gear for weeks before I commit money to buying it. I am lucky enough to have more LDS's than you can go to in a week, but the problem lies in LDS's product line is usually ,according to them the one that is supposedly the best one on the market. I have tried on Scuba Pro's Blackhawk ,Mares Morpheus pro airtrim, Seaquest Balance. They all fit well and they are all supposed to be great pieces. Now after reading so many post on this site I still have no clue in which way to turn, No one even showed me a wing designs. I dive grottos, springs and the Gulf of Mexico on a regular basis, with a old Seaquest but i hate the squeeze. Please Help

tremtech:
I am one of those people that research a piece of gear for weeks before I commit money to buying it. I am lucky enough to have more LDS's than you can go to in a week, but the problem lies in LDS's product line is usually ,according to them the one that is supposedly the best one on the market. I have tried on Scuba Pro's Blackhawk ,Mares Morpheus pro airtrim, Seaquest Balance. They all fit well and they are all supposed to be great pieces. Now after reading so many post on this site I still have no clue in which way to turn, No one even showed me a wing designs. I dive grottos, springs and the Gulf of Mexico on a regular basis, with a old Seaquest but i hate the squeeze. Please Help

Your responses here will be just like the LDS. Give us some idea of what you want and I am sure you will get some responses.

IMHO, I didn't care for the Mares Air trim and ended up going to the complete other end of the BC line and bought a Zeagle Brigade.

If you hate squeeze, back inflate is the way to go. That gives you two options: poodle jacket back-inflate, or a backplate and wing. I noticed you said you dive springs; any plans for cave diving? If so, bp/w is the way to go. Personally, after trying both jacket and bp/w setups, I love my bp/w far more than any jacket I've ever used. In fact, my bp/w is so much more comfy and streamlined than my Pro QD+, that my SAC rate dropped from around .5 to .4...simply by changing my BC.

I'm not suprised none of the LDSs had bp/w's, for several reasons.....you might check in the Florida board, those guys will either know of a shop where you can take a look at one, or will even meet you for a dive and let you use one of theirs.

Spear fishing , searching the man made reefs ,100' spring grotto

tremtech:
I am one of those people that research a piece of gear for weeks before I commit money to buying it................... No one even showed me a wing designs. I dive grottos, springs and the Gulf of Mexico on a regular basis, with a old Seaquest but i hate the squeeze. Please Help
Would be a good idea to try bp/w. Rent one, find someone willing to let you borrow, whatever. I know a couple of divers that swear by them. (hate the squeeze of BC jacket too) Depending on your preference/needs, at least try one. Diving the springs, you may decide to get into cave diving. I'm told bp/w is good for that. Can't believe, considering your location, that no LDS showed you one. Dunno, maybe big price/profit difference? I guess I got lucky, I love my Tusa Selene and it's the first one I tried. 'Course, I don't do the cave thing. The springs are great but chilly. I can't go more than 45 min. before I get the shivers (3mil o'neill wet suit.) I love ocean diving more than anything. Diving is diving- I'm still a newbie. I enjoy going anywhere- just nothing compares to all the life and colors you see in the ocean.

a BC is all about fit and comfort. This is why it's good to try several diferent types and styles before making a purchase. I own several different ones including both vest (hosecollar), jacket and back inflated designs. I found that I like my AERIS XT the best. it is a hybrid wrap-around design. Maybe you should give it a try before "jumping in" and making your purchase.

tremtech:
I am one of those people that research a piece of gear for weeks before I commit money to buying it. Please Help

Lots of good info here already. If you hate the squeeze, back inflate of some type should be considered. I'd be happy to walk you through the basic BP&W idea.

In short a BP&W is a modular approach. It can be a bit confusing if you've never had you hands on one, or seen one dissassembled. Really pretty simple, and cost effective too.

PM me if you like, or call. My numbers on the website in my signature.

Regards,

Tobin

thanks for the info everyone. I think the wing is the answer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom