Coolpix7900 or Canon SD500?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vaschn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm currently trying to decide between a Nikon Coolpix 7900 and a Canon SD500. I've tried them both on land, but has anyone tried them both underwater to compare? The Nikon has the D lighting feature- but the Canon has a faster cycle time...I've been wavering back and forth for weeks!

Thanks for your input!

I have the 7900 that I use underwater and as a snapshot camera above water. I'll be happy to tell you my thoughts about it. I have not used the Canon, so I can't comment on that one.

My biggest dislike when shooting U/W is that it really isn't designed to be used in low light while shooting macro. Here is why:
1. The flash difuser is right against the camera. What this does is to cause the light to vignette in the frame. The lens get in the way and creates a shadow when you are shooting 3-4" away from the subject.

2. Focusing is problematic in macro. About 50% of my shots are out of focus. I'm a pro photographer that shoots action above water for magazines such as Sports Illustrated and Outside. I'm constantly frustrated when the auto focus gets a mind of it's own. While I don't expect this camera to work the same way as my Nikon F5's or D2X it is still bothersome. With these camera's it's rare that I have shots out of focus.

I love the size and the I really like the image quality when they are in focus. I believe that the I could shoot a magazine cover with this little camera and an photo editor wouldn't know the difference until they tried to open up the raw file.

I too am looking for a point and shoot that will yield sharper images. I'm not wanting to haul around my big housing and Ikelite strobes on a fun dive just to have sharp shots.

OE2X, I think it is time to house your big camera :D

Problem with low light focus is pretty endemic with all PnS to a certain degree and the only way to deal with that is to have a good focus light. If you are comparing F5 or D2X with 60mm macro lens, there is no PnS that will come anywhere near it.
Unfortunately a good focus light will cost quite a bit as well. Personally I use Fisheye light which is incredible.

For PnS, again, when you use on board flash, when you are 3-4 inches away from the subject, you are going to run into shadow problem. Some PnS may be worse than other but this is a physical limitation of PnS.

With my old Oly C5050, I had to deal with all of these problems as well but nowaday, I am a bit out of the loop on the current PnS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom