Halcyon Pioneer or Eclipse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gerald0509

Reaction score
Please comment comparing halcyon pioneer and eclipse ... and between stainless steel and aluminium backplate.

I’ve only used a Pioneer once but I really don’t feel much difference between it and my Eclipse—I hated the old Halcyon inflator on the Pioneer but I think all the wings now come with the “stainless steel” inflator. A Pioneer seems slightly more streamlined but I really couldn’t tell the difference in the water. I decided to purchase an Eclipse (outer shell/inner bladder as opposed to the single layer Pioneer) as I have seen several Pioneer wings that have been punctured—OTOH, my instructor has many Pioneers that are constantly being used by students in the pool and in the sea and he has told me that he has NEVER seen a Pioneer punctured or damaged. I also like using a STA which is required for an Eclipse but optional on a Pioneer.

As for ss or aluminium, it really depends on the kind of diving you do, what kind of exposure protection you will be wearing, your equipment (i.e. canister light and tank) will also need to be considered. I use a stainless steel bp diving in warm tropical water (3mm wetsuit, AL80 tank)—I probably will have to switch to an aluminium bp if I decide to use a canister light in the future. Aluminium is also good for travel.

i have only used two bcs in my life. they are the pioneer and the eclipse. they are both identical in feel and weight. but i would suggest getting the eclipse. it is exactly like the pioneer but has an outer shell which makes it more robust. dont get me wrong the pioneer is sturdy as hell but the guys in halcyon wanted to add more protection.

also the pioneer eclipse has a sta versus the built in plastic rods on the pioneer. i have seen some threads wherein people on this board have comlained about tank rolling but i never had any problems. the pioneer is also a fraction sleeker becasue of the absence of the sta. in the end you will have to decide.

as for the type of backplate if you are doing a lot of travelling get the aluminum sta if not get the ss. you will certainly use less weight beacsue the ss bp weighs areound 6lbs.

I have a Pioneer, my dive buddy has an Eclipse. Both seem to be nearly identical but his has the more sturdy outer shell. I don't know the cost difference between them. I purchased my wing separately (for a great price) from my plate, he got his in a package. I use the Hammerhead SS plate with the large STA so I don't have ANY issues with tank rolling, etc. Hard to recommend one over the other, would depend on what you are doing with it and how much you want to spend. All other factors being equal, get the more sturdy one, the Eclipse.

Back
Top Bottom