Good BC for round women

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

citydiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey Everyone,
I am sure this question has been asked, but I tried to find some threads but none that really addressed my concerns...I was wondering if anyone knew some good BC's for women that are on the larger side. I am 5'4 and weigh about 210...Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Citydiver...

citydiver:
Hey Everyone,
I am sure this question has been asked, but I tried to find some threads but none that really addressed my concerns...I was wondering if anyone knew some good BC's for women that are on the larger side. I am 5'4 and weigh about 210...Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Citydiver...

My wife has found her Seaquest DivaLX to very accomodating. Her proportions sound similar. She actually didn't want to do her ocean certification dives in the shop BCs they just didn't fit her well. After trying a number of BCs in dive shop pools that was the one. I've tried it in the pool just for the heck of it and I'd dive it in a heartbeat! The mini wing makes it dive like a back inflate and the wrap around portion of the air cell keeps her happy topside.

The "sports bra" design is less dependent on the straps and hugs closely below the bustline with soft expansive panels that draw in as firmly as you like with the cummerbund.

Pete

The backplate and wing setup will work awesome for you. It's acutally pretty much size-independant. Just adjust the harness to fit, trim the excess, and it'll fit you as well as it fits me (6'1 and 140).

I like the Deep Sea Supply rig, however that's the only one I've ever used so not much basis for comparison there. I can say however that it is 100x more comfortable and easy to dive than my jacket BC. Do a search here and you'll find a ton about the bp/w.

I have been reading some threads about the whole Backplate wings etc....I am trying to work out what all the hubbub about it is...seems like a lot of controversy. Thanks for the suggestion, I want to get something that fits and that is comfortable.

citydiver:
I have been reading some threads about the whole Backplate wings etc....I am trying to work out what all the hubbub about it is...seems like a lot of controversy. Thanks for the suggestion, I want to get something that fits and that is comfortable.

I must add that when my wife was shopping for her gear she did slip into a rarness rig, a poseidon (Kinda like a transpac) I think and she lit up, I thought she was going to get it for a moment. She decided she wanted somehting more "conventional". Hey as long as she's happy, secure and diving it works for me. My suggestion is to make those your metrics too.

Pete

citydiver:
I've got just a simple one-piece harness on mine, which is basically weight belt webbing that weaves through the plate to form the waist and shoulder straps. Believe it or not I've found this to be far more comfy underwater than my heavily padded jacket BC.

citydiver:
Hey Everyone,

Thanks
Citydiver...

I also am a larger gal! Count me at 5'11" and at 230 lbs. I actually used my husband's Zeagle Concept (he's also a big guy :D )during my classes and certs. (As I have a larger ribcage, men's gear seems to fit me better), anyhow, I absolutely LOVE it! It is so comfy and gave me ALOT of freedom. Zeagle is great about being able to custom fit you, and as you change in size so can your BC. Now he's mad, cuz I don't want to give it back! :dazzler1:

citydiver:
Hey Everyone,

Thanks
Citydiver...

Hi, I'm mushymom's other half. To give you an idea of the range the 96 Zeagle Concept has, I'm 5'10 and 330 to her 5'11 and 230. We have also suited up my father-in-law in it once for fit and he had no trouble and he is 6'1 and 230 or so.

I can't tell you how much I love my Zeagle. And yes, I'm a little grouchy about not getting it back. Of course I'm sure she'd part with my Concept for a new Ranger.

I'd have to second the recommendation to check out Zeagle products. I dive with a Zena and love it. One really cool thing is the modular design. Since you're shorter but rounder, you could easily need a small shoulder strap section, but a large front panel. With a Zeagle you can easily change out the different sections, including the wing for more or less lift (depending on your diving). If at anytime in your life your body proportions change, you can easily adjust your Zeagle to fit you by changing out components, not having to buy an entirely new BC.

Try the Triple-L -- you can order from their website -- their BCs are great and actually run larger than they advertise. You could probably wear a large and it would be perfect. (Which ever one you get, go one size smaller than the chart suggests.) I have the "instructor" style and love it. Also, they are a great buy. We've been diving with ours for a couple of years and love them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom