Shark Shadow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stone

Contributor
Reaction score
We live in Valparaiso, FL and dive out of Destin,
I saw an interesting phenomenon yesterday.

Our third and last dive of the day was on concrete rubble in the sand at 60 fsw. Five minutes into the dive, a large Bull shark (at least 8 ft and really fat) swam up to investigate us. He got to within 7 feet for a moment then turned around. I know it was 7 feet because that's the distance from me to the outstretched tip of my speargun.

Here's the phenomenon:

Even though the shark disappeared from view as he swam into the gloom (30 ft viz), you could still see his big fat shadow on the sand. As he continued to circle us for the rest of the dive, it would always be the shadow that caught my attention first. Sometimes all we could see was the shadow, and sometimes he'd get close enough to reappear. Obviously, the shark was perfectly camouflaged for the water conditions, but his shadow contrasted quite well with the light colored sand.

No speared fish on that site, but an interesting dive anyway.

. . . to keep track of him - on a sunny day.

That would have scared the hell out of me. The bull shark is one of the three sharks considered by most to pose a real danger to people (the other two being the great white and the tiger)
I think I would have kept a really close eye on him and then shot him as soon as he got close enough and then I would have gotten the hell out of there as fast as I could. But that is just me, I value my life. :) After all I doubt he was admiring your gear, I think he was looking for lunch.

Originally posted by Burke
........... and then shot him as soon as he got close enough........

I'll bet one thing a lot worse than a curious shark,
Is an angry wounded shark! :sharky:

I like taking pictures of sharks, I haven't felt threatened yet.
I haven't been around a Bull yet either. But, I'm sure you don't want to shoot him unless you are definately being attacked.

Don't know how many of you have actual experience killing sharks - but I do have. (before anyone starts blasting, it was 40 years ago when the only good shark was a dead shark, and I was a teenager doing my best to make our beaches safe for swimming).
I do not recommend shooting a big bull shark with a speargun. The chances of doing him any real damage are slim and none - and while his most likely reaction to being shot would be to leave, he might also decide to take a chunk out of his tormentor on the way... the only sure thing you'd accomplish by shooting him would be to jettison your only means of self defense.
My own plan is to retain my speargun as a "spine" that would be what the shark runs into anytime he gets close enough.
Also, I make it a point to end the dive if a big bull shows up. They're just too unpredictable.
Rick

Although we see them pretty routinely, we are not complacent about Bull Sharks. We have never ended a dive because of sharks. If I see the shark first, I don't spearfish. If I have fish on a stringer or pokey pole when I see a shark, I will give up the fish if the shark wants it. I would not shoot a shark because he would swim off with my gun. ;-0

was just saying what I would have done, I didn't mean to imply that that would have been the right thing to do. I don't know alot about sharks and have very little experiance with them (only sharks I have ever seen diving are horn sharks and a whale shark) but I do know that bulls are reported to be bad dudes so I would have shoot him, hoping that he would swim away with the gun, and I would swim away with my limbs. After reading the posts here I guess my response now would be to keep an eye on it and be ready to jab with the gun rather then shooting. Either way I intend to learn alot more about sharks before I go diving anywhere I am likely to run into any.
One other thing, do you really have a chance to do anything after you are attacked, as tavi said, or is it all over by then?

I remember some advice that if a shark attacks punch him in the nose with your fist...if that doesn't work punch him with the stub.

:jester:

Actually I think they say you'd be better off going for the eyes or gills.

:mean: Sorry guys, I wouldn't hurt them at all. I have great respect for all sharks. I just wish I could see more of them, they are just curious like we are. I can't wait to dive with Great Whites, Tigers, Bull, Black Tips.... just all of them.

Rich :mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom