Looking for a dive club

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadoonie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to diving (started OW cert. today) and was wondering if anybody knows of any clubs in the area (I live in Glendale)

scubadoonie:
I'm new to diving (started OW cert. today) and was wondering if anybody knows of any clubs in the area (I live in Glendale)
Who are you getting certified with? Scuba Specialties? Scuba Sciences?

Specialties has a group that does some local regional trips, but I don't think it's any organized group. I think info is available on their website. Scuba Sciences has a club also - more info on their website.

We have a group called AZScuba, there's 135 of us, a small group of which meet monthly and plan dive trips, outings etc. Our leader also moderates this forum but for some reason most people participate on our Yahoo group forum instead.

You can join here, it's free: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/azscuba

Currently we meet the 2nd Thursday(sometimes Wed.) of every month from 5:30-8:30. We're currently meeting at Chuy's at 32nd St. & Indian School. David, our group leader will e-mail details on any future meetings or special events to you when you join. We're not affiliated with any local divestore(intentionally) although they're all welcome to participate and share info on trips/sales etc. with our group.

For local diving, there's a few in our group that dive Lake Pleasant and sometimes Saguaro. With all the rain, the viz is terrible right now so people are going to San Carlos, MX. or Southern CA for "local" diving. One of our group members just ran a 2-day charter trip out to the Channel Islands last weekend.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me here or on the Yahoo forum. I've been diving from Arizona since 1981 and know a lot of the resources here. I live north of Metrocenter, so I'm familiar with our area.

sjspeck:
Who are you getting certified with? Scuba Specialties? Scuba Sciences?

Specialties has a group that does some local regional trips, but I don't think it's any organized group. I think info is available on their website. Scuba Sciences has a club also - more info on their website.

We have a group called AZScuba, there's 135 of us, a small group of which meet monthly and plan dive trips, outings etc. Our leader also moderates this forum but for some reason most people participate on our Yahoo group forum instead.

You can join here, it's free: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/azscuba

Currently we meet the 2nd Thursday(sometimes Wed.) of every month from 5:30-8:30. We're currently meeting at Chuy's at 32nd St. & Indian School. David, our group leader will e-mail details on any future meetings or special events to you when you join. We're not affiliated with any local divestore(intentionally) although they're all welcome to participate and share info on trips/sales etc. with our group.

For local diving, there's a few in our group that dive Lake Pleasant and sometimes Saguaro. With all the rain, the viz is terrible right now so people are going to San Carlos, MX. or Southern CA for "local" diving. One of our group members just ran a 2-day charter trip out to the Channel Islands last weekend.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me here or on the Yahoo forum. I've been diving from Arizona since 1981 and know a lot of the resources here. I live north of Metrocenter, so I'm familiar with our area.

I already saw the club. I signed up for it yesterday and now I'm just waiting approval. I'm taking classes at Estrella Mountain with a PADI senior instructor.

There is a group of us who dive on Thursday nights (frequent but not regular) at Lake Pleasant. We are also out there quite a bit on Weekends. Keep an eye on the forum at www.scubaspecialties.com as we post there when we will be out at the lake. Otherwise, you can call the shop as they usually know (people renting and filling tanks is a good indication). We're a pretty informal group of people, but there is a lot of experience present. This is a good place to pickup a lot of information.

Visibility is 5-10 feet, but good enough to practice skills for our frequent trips to San Carlos and more exotic destinations.

Most of us live in the Glendale Area. Scuba Specialties is located at 43rd Ave and Bell next to the Jack in the Box.

scubadoonie:

Wow- It took yahoo a while to tell me you wanted to join- I approved you five minutes after I got the email.

Welcome!

Are the people who dive the lake in AZSCUBA? I know I read aout people diving the lake here & there, but I didn't know it was a weekly sort of thing.

sjspeck:
One of our group members just ran a 2-day charter trip out to the Channel Islands last weekend.

We gonna see a trip report? :wink:

TheDavil:
We gonna see a trip report? :wink:
I didn't go, I will suggest it to the trip organizer, although I'm not sure if he posts here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom