Toss DUI boots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

globaldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Angeles/California, (originally from Stockholm
Has anyone tossed, or choosen not to use the Rock Boots for your DUI suits in Tech Diving, and if so for what reason?
Those of you that are using them, what added benefit do they give you when diving?

I have used them for a while but am thinking of having the older style sole glued on to the suit instead, and skip the boots for diving. Less stuff to don...

Any experiened input?

Sincerely

Anders :)

I use the whites boots which are much like the DUI. I love them and will never go back to the attatched boot.

I have heard a lot of good things about them. A regular diving buddy of mine has a pair. When on it seems to him to prevent air from being traped in the boots as it snugs up the boot to the foot. I have tread on the bottom of my drysuit boots and don't need the rock boots or would they fit, but it has happend a few time where my foot has come out and I have wished to have had something else holding my foot in place.

I've got the TLS 350 with the rock boot system. I've never worn the rock boots due to the fact they won't fit into my Jet Fins. I wear my regular wetsuit booties (they were a little large to start) over the sock feet of the drysuit. This works great for me in the caves of N Florida but I don't know if it'd be warm enough in real cold water since you can't really put on thick insulation and still get the booties on. Or at least I've never tried it.

DSAO!!

Like MikeF, I also have the Whites "hightop sneaker" style drysuit boots. And I like them lots. Good traction while tromping around with a full load of gear, and when tied on snugly, prevent air from getting into my feet.

I have the boots and will never go back (I have well over 1000 dives in the suit with the boots). They keep my foot firmly in the boot, don't allow air in, make for a really positive fit with my fins (no slop at all), and make it really easy to walk around when I'm on the surface.

I am actually in need of a new pair, so it's good to get some input about the White's 'hightop sneaker' style drysuit boot. Do these wear well?

My (not so L)DS recommended a different type of drysuit boot (might have been the White's), but I don't recall what he said. If you decide to go that route, let me know and I'll check with Mike and get his take on it. I think he was recommending something even more durable.

I don't do Tech Diving, so I don't know if there are any issues that need to be taken into consideration there. Perhaps Pug or one of the other Tekkies will chime in soon.

Originally posted by globaldiver
Has anyone tossed, or choosen not to use the Rock Boots for your DUI suits in Tech Diving, and if so for what reason?
Those of you that are using them, what added benefit do they give you when diving?

I have used them for a while but am thinking of having the older style sole glued on to the suit instead, and skip the boots for diving. Less stuff to don...

Any experiened input?

Sincerely

I have been using the rock boots for probably about 5 years, and I'll never go back.. I had to purchase another set of fins for use with them and definately don't regret it.. Its much better than the old attached boots.. I tried the drysuit with neoprene booties and it definately wasn't the same(my feet froze).. My feet are never cold when I wear my thinsulate booties with my rock boots, plus I can walk on any surface without fear of hurting my feet.

Thanks for all your input. I will continue to dive with my rock boots.
I changed the ring system to regular military style latex seals however. The ring system was great for the winter diving in Sweden, but in sothern California, which now is my home, I use wet gloves instead.

Thanks again
Sincerely

Here's my secret, and believe me, I've even received compliments from dui rock boot guys. Look for a pair of canvas high top sneakers, (like the converse or Keds). They are none bouyant, and are more durable than any dive boot. I found a really cheap pair of "no-name" brand shoes from wal-mart. They are black and have a heavy duty sole, and best of all, they were only 10 bucks. I also have rock boots, and the sneakers kick their butt.
Everyone thinks that they are real expensive "tech" boots. Ha, Ha!!!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom