Canon announced 5D full frame 12.8mp dSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30

Reaction score
see here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082209canoneos5d.asp

It is priced at a bit over $3000 so not exactly a d20 replacement, not a pro body like 1D Mk2 but should certainly give the Nikon D2X a run for the money. Also giving full frame sensor, wide angle part which is a weakness of the more affordable Canon dSLR line-up should be solved. But I suppose the price is still a bit steep for many :)
Unfortunately it won't fit in the existing housing.

ssra30:
see here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0508/05082209canoneos5d.asp

It is priced at a bit over $3000 so not exactly a d20 replacement, not a pro body like 1D Mk2 but should certainly give the Nikon D2X a run for the money. Also giving full frame sensor, wide angle part which is a weakness of the more affordable Canon dSLR line-up should be solved. But I suppose the price is still a bit steep for many :)
Unfortunately it won't fit in the existing housing.

Looks good, Nikon have been very quiet of late, lets hops those buggers have a good replacement up their sleeves for the D100 (the D200?) in a D70 body!!!!!

we can live in hope!

or better still an 8 meg version of the D70, the D70X for xtra
icon_lol.gif

well there have been rumors of this camera for about 2 weeks now, and i held out on getting my dslr because of this because i didnt want to get a camera that would be obsolete in less then two weeks (which i have a ironic tendency for doing).

now since this isnt a 20D replacement, it makes me wonder when the 20D's replacement will be announced

Tooth

ํํำํำyeah, I would definitely like to hear what Nikon has to say about its D200. At this point, I am not sure if it is going to be a camera in the middle between D2X and D70, price wise or closer to D100, ie around 20D price.
If it is meant to be a D100 replacement, I am sure Canon has its 20D replacement up the sleeve, ready to trump Nikon when Nikon makes its announcement :)

I hope it is going to be better than just D70 with 8 or 12 MPs.
Fuji S2 was a great camera but when Fuji came out with the S3, no doubt its sensor is probably one of the best out there but Fuji did not do the homework and did not improve the body otherwise, as a result, S3 is not enjoying nearly the same success as S2.
Oh well, now I am too poor to think of buying anything new anyhow :)

jepuskar:
Clive, my ole friend!! Where have you been? I have missed you!!!

been around, had no pc for a couple of weeks while i was rebuilding my PC and fighting hackers and viruses while waiting for windows service packs to load
icon8.gif

been on holiday, planning another in a couple of weeks.

same old same old.

you've been quiet as well where have you been?

ssra30:
ํํำํำyeah, I would definitely like to hear what Nikon has to say about its D200. At this point, I am not sure if it is going to be a camera in the middle between D2X and D70, price wise or closer to D100, ie around 20D price.
If it is meant to be a D100 replacement, I am sure Canon has its 20D replacement up the sleeve, ready to trump Nikon when Nikon makes its announcement :)

I hope it is going to be better than just D70 with 8 or 12 MPs.
Fuji S2 was a great camera but when Fuji came out with the S3, no doubt its sensor is probably one of the best out there but Fuji did not do the homework and did not improve the body otherwise, as a result, S3 is not enjoying nearly the same success as S2.
Oh well, now I am too poor to think of buying anything new anyhow :)

thats half the problem, these designers and marketers must be thick as s*%t!, there is a huge market out there, people are used to the handling of a body, divers (us) have housing that take a particular body, so logic would dictate that you keep the body and change the inside parts that way you are more likely to catch people on an upgrade.

no ........... they change everything and people are not so keen especially the divers as it means another couple of grand on a housing!

clive francis:
thats half the problem, these designers and marketers must be thick as s*%t!, there is a huge market out there, people are used to the handling of a body, divers (us) have housing that take a particular body, so logic would dictate that you keep the body and change the inside parts that way you are more likely to catch people on an upgrade.

no ........... they change everything and people are not so keen especially the divers as it means another couple of grand on a housing!

Unfortunately u/w photography is such a small market in comparison to the total sale of the camera. For example, Nikon sells several thousands of D2X each month. Since the introduction of housing, Subal sold out its first batch of 10 housings, they still have some housings left from its second batches of 40 housings. I am not sure how many housing Seacam is making in their first batch but certainly not more than Subal. Nexus sold quite a few but the number is probably still less than a hundred. While there are a lot of housings sold for D70, it is still only a fraction of total D70 sold worldwide.

Canon decided not the change the body of D1 series through a few generations now which was a blessing for UW photographers and housing manufacturers but a curse for many land photographers who think that certain functions could be improved for ergonomics.

All in all, I don't think the Canon/Nikon will think twice about changing the body in regard to us poor divers :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom