Wreck Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba446

Reaction score
Hi,
I am just now getting Basic OW certified, and would like to learn about wreck diving....since I am in central NY very near the St. Lawrence River and wrecks...

WHere do I start, in getting a 'real' skills foundation of wreck diving, etc...?

I am with SSI currently...I want to learn as much as I can about safe wreck diving skills, etc.

??

Hey-o Scuba446

First of all -welcome to the board and congrats on the OW cert.

I love wrecks and so I asked the same question. I'll let you know what I did (and am doing) and you can do what you wish....

First: AOW, and Deep Specialties. The wrecks are deeper than 40 so you'll need that experience. Nitrox if you want.

Second: Find a group who dives wrecks and dive with them. Alot. You need to get comfortable and you can only do that if you are comfortable (Check out the Ontario dive thread and get diving with them if you can.) I found a dive shop in my area that is very wreck focused, that helps as well.

Third: More courses. Start with the Nautical Archeoligical Society to really learn a ton of GREAT data about wrecks. Read the histories, build ship models (the wooden ones) to learn the components. The more you know about ships the more enjoyable diving on them becomes.

Then you decide, if you want to go deeper and longer - it becomes time for technical diving. Check out GUE and IANTD for courses. Overhead environments need more specialized training and you need to be diving with the same team over and over to be really safe. Photography is another option.

Lots of fun;

Just continue with your education and then dive wrecks. The only way to fully learn is by "DOING IT", books and classroom can only go so far. Granted, do not go out and do things you do not feel comfortable in doing. Take you time and a big thing is to buddy with someone who has been diving wrecks for a while, they are a great way of learning.

Rich :mean:

OK,
Thanks...I have the DIR Fundamentals book already and use pretty darn near a DIR config....in fact, my entire rig is really DIR based..long hose, 2nd on bungee necklace, wings, BP, Jet fins, etc.

I did the Wreck Survey and Wreck Penitration course through NAUI. It explained a lot about different types of wrecks, what to look for and how to dive them safely. Check out this thread for a discussion about the class. Also, from what I understand, NAUI lets the course director come up with the material for the class so if you go this route find a LDS/ Instructor who is into wreck diving.

Ty

I'm not knocking the courses you are taking but I do have one question for you. Why not take GUE classes if DIR is the route you would like to take? Being that you live so close to the St. Lawrence I'm assuming you live near the 1000 islands region? If you've done any research on DIR you would of come across Northern Tech Diver which is based in Kingston, Ontario. That wasnt meant to be a flame that you dont research, it just sounded that way (It really Wasn't).
NTD teaches all GUE classes up to Tech 2. I live 3 hours from NTD and manage to take GUE classes. I am a DIR advocate by the way but I'm no way the type of person that thinks there cant be a better way to do something. I take their knowledge and utilize it to find out what works for me and what doesnt. I'd have to say that 95% does work for me. Give Dan Mackay a call when your ready to take some GUE Classes.:D Everything here was suggested if you want to learn about diving overhead enviroments but as Ontario Diver suggested
Start with the Nautical Archeoligical Society to really learn a ton of GREAT data about wrecks. Read the histories, build ship models (the wooden ones) to learn the components. The more you know about ships the more enjoyable diving on them becomes.
This would be a great start before you even dive them.

Train To Stay Alive Not Just Dive
Scubanarc:wink:

Ok, I will..thanks for the info...

Hi,
I can't seem to finds much under a search for: Nautical Archeological Society in NY, etc.

Any links, anyone?

I have found a few links, such as:

http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Valley/3422/

..but not THAT much.

Looking for some sites on TECH DIVING, WRECK DIVING, such as techniques, methods, etc.

Soemthing like some of the DIR web sites that discuss gear, skills, methods, Holgarthian philosophy, etc.

Originally posted by Scuba446
Hi,
I can't seem to finds much under a search for: Nautical Archeological Society in NY, etc.

Any links, anyone?

I have found a few links, such as:

http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Valley/3422/

..but not THAT much.

Looking for some sites on TECH DIVING, WRECK DIVING, such as techniques, methods, etc.

Soemthing like some of the DIR web sites that discuss gear, skills, methods, Holgarthian philosophy, etc.

Nautical Archeological Soiciety Is an organization that is based out of the UK. I'm not aware of any training that occurs in the USA - but that doesn't mean it doesn't. Up here in Ontario, we are lucky enough to have a number of individuals who are recognized NAS trainers.

Thanks DivingGal,

You know who I am...

What do you all suggest for my desire for wreck diving?

Should I get so mnay dives under my belt before thinking of additional GUE/DIR, Wreck or AOW courses?

I think I will take Nitrox soon though - first.

??

Back
Top Bottom