Deco, chamber, dcs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingGal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Thanks to our own Dr Deco, I've made contact with a couple of respected individuals up here in Ontario who are willing to provide some continuing education along the same lines as he (Dr Deco) was planning on for the Houston area (see Chamber visit ).

With the dive season in full swing, and schedules for the lecturers, this would happen late October / early November.

Who's interested?

If you're interested, what topics would you like see covered? Would you want a visit to a chamber?

Time and money (And class-schedule) permitting, I'd definitely be interested in such a course. Personally, I found the absence of good info on deco-theory one of the big lacks in my OW course.

Topics I'd like to see covered:

Basic deco theory ( compartments, M-values, how the tables are derived from such)

Developments and additions to basic compartment theory... I.e. compartment-to-compartment gas transfer, blood-flow limited transfers, etc.

Bubble-nucleation/growth theory, and how that can be worked into creating an opposition-force to "maximum safe rate of offgassing"

(Possibly including a review of the necessary thermodynamics/physics first)

How the equations have to change for the
different solubilities/permeabilities for Helium or other gasses.

Factors affecting DCS incidence. Which ones are reasonably constant person to person, which ones vary per person, or with time.

Mechanisms of N2 narcosis.

Why HPNS is offset by reintroducing a small amount of N2 into the He-O2 mix

Hmmm, can't think of much more for now. Then again, I'm guessing this is a long-weekend type course, not a full-semester-credit sort of thing... Although if I could find a way to get the university to give course-credit <grin> <ponders the "lab component">

Jamie

What I've talked about is a weekend-type course / series of lectures.

The two individuals that I talked to are very enthusiastic about the idea.

Both my friend and myself are very interested and the time frame would probably fit both schedules perfectly. That is of you do not mind anyone from Syracuse horning in on you.

chuckrt

...of bubbly conversation. This sounds interesting. I don't suppose we could shoe horn this into a NAS weekend?

A chamber visit would be fascinating...

Originally posted by chuckrt
Both my friend and myself are very interested and the time frame would probably fit both schedules perfectly. That is of you do not mind anyone from Syracuse horning in on you.

chuckrt

Heck I'm not going to say no to anyone wanting to come and get some continuing education. Anyone is welcome.

Chamber ride, First aid (and extensions for advanced First Aiders). Differences between different models (RGBM, Haldane, DCIEM, etc), computer models(pros and cons), extended range diving (deco, more than 130 ft),

and Beer tasting - got to have beer tasting...

and Celtic music!

I think I could make it....

Originally posted by Ontario Diver
Chamber ride, First aid (and extensions for advanced First Aiders). Differences between different models (RGBM, Haldane, DCIEM, etc), computer models(pros and cons), extended range diving (deco, more than 130 ft),

and Beer tasting - got to have beer tasting...

and Celtic music!

I think I could make it....

and I thought you wouldn't be interested at all! :)

Are you going for a chamber ride at DCIEM too? That would be abfab!
:clapping:

~SubMariner~

Back
Top Bottom