Good Deal on Scubapro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ca_Ghost

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Went to the LDS today and saw a package that is reasonably in my price range (saving up for a few months of course). Tell me what you guys think of this:

Scubapro Knighthawk with Air2
Scubapro MK16/S550
Oceanic Versa Pro Computer

All of this for $1099.00

Tried on the Knighthawk and have to say it was very comfortable. Of course it wasn't in the pool since no one will demo their gear in my area.

Ca_Ghost:
Went to the LDS today and saw a package that is reasonably in my price range (saving up for a few months of course). Tell me what you guys think of this:

Scubapro Knighthawk with Air2
Scubapro MK16/S550
Oceanic Versa Pro Computer

All of this for $1099.00

Tried on the Knighthawk and have to say it was very comfortable. Of course it wasn't in the pool since no one will demo their gear in my area.
Sounds like a decent deal. Check to see if they have the same gear in their rental program. It would be nice to "try before you buy". For a price comparison try Leisure Pro. The LDS may be a little more, but it's sometimes worth it to spend a little more and keep the business local. YMMV......

It's a good price, cheaper than leisurepro, and it's tough to find SP equipment at a discount with the warranty. If this is a package, I assume there's some sort of SPG with it; either the computer is in a console, or (better IMO) a wrist mount with a separate SPG?

Probably you'll love the regulator and be happy with the computer, although you should do a little research to determine if you want a more conservative computer. The big question is the BC; they're pretty personal and there are huge differences in the way different styles feel in the water. Best bet is to try a jacket style, a back inflate, and a backplate/wing set up before you buy anything. If you really can't do that, you could search threads for this BC; I'm pretty sure you'll find favorable reviews. But...you might also resign yourself to the fact that it's likely at some point down the road you'll want to try a different style BC. If you did a poll among divers with some experience, I bet almost every one of them will have owned a couple of different types of BCs, especially on this board where there are so many rabid BP/wing zealots. (Sorry guys, I'm sort of one myself...) It's not the end of the world, you're getting a good deal on the package, and after a couple of years' diving, you could end up selling the BC to pay for your BP/wing rig, and not lose much money in the process. OTOH, you might love diving in it for many years. There's not much of a way to know without several dives to get used to it. While getting in the pool with it is a great start, you won't have the real awareness of trim and fine buoyancy control until lots of dives.

I'm a professional guitarist, and I run into this sort of thing with guitars all the time, especially with my students. You really don't know what exactly you want until you play it for some time, far longer than the typical "try" period. So, if the deal seems okay and you want to learn more, you buy it, learn with it, and later on, you pass it on when you have the personal experience to know more exactly what you're looking for.

Yes, that's a good deal. If the Versa Pro is the console package rather than the wrist mount, it's a great deal.

The VP is a good comp, I have 2 of them. Very pleased. Some consider it very liberal. I've dove it often right up to its NDL limits with no problems, but you can make it very conservative by simply watching your saturation bar graphs. They run green-yellow-red. Just turn the dive when you reach yellow. Or, at whatever NDL time remaining you choose for a safety margin. Say 10 minutes, rather than 3, for example.

The Knighthawk is a very nice back inflate BC. My wife has a Ladyhawk, same thing but for women. The only thing that I don't like about it is the lack of pockets, it has one small one. But she hasn't found that to be a big deal, she loves the thing. Several guys I dive with have Knighthawks & are very happy with them.

One of my BC's is a Nighthawk. It's very comfortable and has worked well.

That is a GOOD deal! I would jump on it! I dive a KH and enjoy it! Three years old and still looks brand new!
Good luck!

IMHO, if the AIR 2 is what you really want (and you are comfortable with using it in an OOA situation), go for it—if you’ve never used one before, get a “proper” backup second stage like a R390.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom