Zeage Ranger Jr, Getting too short!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuby Dooby

Reaction score
My son has a Ranger Jr. that he likes, it works well and is in nearly new condition after 2 years of use. It still fits his waist well but the problem is that he has grown about 8 inches in the last year and the shoulder straps, at their limit, still make the BC ride a lot higher than it was intended.

With the Zeagle system I can see 2 options to make a DIY repair

1. Lengthen the straps on the front by sewing in soft straps - i've found a soft scubapro weight belt that seems like it will work well.

2. Lengthen the straps that hold in the shoulder harness in the back, again with the scubapro belt.

Unfortunately, the BC is in the Philippines and I am in Hong Kong, we keep our gear there and go down every month or 2. My son is really skinny so the BC still fits well everywhere, except for length.

So, anyone have any comments on my idea or advice on what i might want to do otherwise? I'm especially hoping to hear from Scott, the Zeagle man on the board :)

Zeagle should be able to replace the shoulders for you through the PFS sizing system, the sizing charts are on their Website, this will lengthen the BCD.

Depending on its Age you may have to send Zeagle some photos of the attachment points on the shoulder rear and shoulder buckles, Zeagle changed them awhile back.

Cheers
Chris

I sent an email to a shop in the states - they said a new shoulder system would be $65. Now, i'm not THAT cheap :wink: but the reason i think the DIY is an option is that the width / size of the shoulders are ok, as is the fit of the rest of the BC. I'm thinking that simply extending it should solve my problems for a while. I'd really rather not spend the money for a new shoulder system to then have to replace it, or buy an entirely new BC, next year when he's grown again!

Ranger JR??

I would say the same thing. If it is a PFS, some aren't, then buy the new shoulder straps. The sizes cover a large range so you probably wouldn't have to buy again.

Here is a dealer in Hong Kong:

INTERNATIONAL ELITE DIVERS TRAINING
G/F, FULLAND COURT
256 FA YUEN ST
KOWLOON, MONGKOK
Hong Kong
Phone: 85-22-381-1132

And one in the Philipines:
SCUBA WORLD, INC.
1181 P. OCAMPO STREET
MAKATI CITY
Philipines
Phone: 632-895-3551

Hmm ok, well I reckon $65.00 to keep the BCD intact is pretty good.

Sell it off with two sets of shoulders when he does not fit into it will increase its resale value more than hacking into it with a pair of scissors.

Cheers
Chris

Yes, it is PFS. I know both shops you've referred to, still plan on trying to fix it on my own first - any comments on my plan???

Also you will have to stitch it pretty good to carry the weight of the tank and weights. Personally this isn't something that I would do on a home sewing machine.

Agreed Crpntr,

I don't think a regular machine could sew through the straps anyway - i'd have it stitched with proper nylon thread at a friends clothing manufacturing business in the phils.

I guess then the question is...do you want to pay $65 for the shoulders or DIY. Unless money is an issue or your son would grow a lot more, I would go with buying. If nothing else, for the peace of mind that it is in good shape.

MAy want to check Zeagle's web site and see where he lands on the size chart.

Back
Top Bottom