Integrated regulator and inflator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greatwolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

Anyone here using an integrated reg and inflator? I'm planning on purchasing my scuba gear soon and I'm still thinking wether I should get an integrated octo and inflator for streamlining and one hose less to worry about. Or would it be a concern due to the fact that my primary would be so short that it may cause confusion during an OOA emergency(thanks DIR..lol). Thanks.

greatwolf:
Hi All,

Anyone here using an integrated reg and inflator? .....

Or would it be a concern due to the fact that my primary would be so short that it may cause confusion during an OOA emergency(thanks DIR..lol). Thanks.

That concern won't be a problem since you would normally do and should do a BWARF on your dive. that would cover the alternate air source on an integrated inflator.

a number of instructors use an integrated reg/inflator during fun dives. i myself am planning to get one when my gear would be replaced (whenever).

paolov:
That concern won't be a problem since you would normally do and should do a BWARF on your dive. that would cover the alternate air source on an integrated inflator.

a number of instructors use an integrated reg/inflator during fun dives. i myself am planning to get one when my gear would be replaced (whenever).

I have an Atomic SS1 and I love it. What I do at the beginning of every dive is to alert people that I have a power inflator and in the event of an out of air situation I would be giving you my primary instead.

I have never had to share it. Having one less hose is great and also that I have my hands on this at all times as my arms are usually folded. It also breathes almost as good as my Zeagle 50D.

Dave

I have one on my vest bcd...but just didnt put one on my bp and wing.

I also have the SS1. I agree that for "fun" dives, its nice to be more streamlined.

But, please DO tell people about your set-up, and that you'll be giving them your primary (which gets you one step closer to being DIR :mischief: ).

Thanks for the replies. I'm leaning toward the non-integrated set-up due to the fact that I'm more familiar with it. Maybe once I have more dives under my belt, I'll think about the integrated set-up.

If the backup is integrated with the inflator and you're doing an air-sharing ascent, that means you'll have to pop it out of your mouth to vent your BC (unless you have a "pull" dump or use the butt dump). I dive with a back-up bungied around my neck on a 22" hose so it's very streamlined/minimalist.

.mike

I've used the intergrated air/inflator right from the beginning and have had no problem with it at all. It really comes down to what you get used to. It is more streamlined, with one less hose. I often switch from primary to inflator on a dive for a short while to check it out and get used to in case I need to share air. Make sure you alert your buddy to your set up before dive. Also, make sure you service it when you service your reg because that is a reg too. I like it and recommend it.Oh, make sure your BC has a front shoulder dump chord.

Question: I have never had to purge water out of my air2 when I switch. Is that part of the safety design?

Integrated octo and inflator? And all this time I thought the power inflator was the octopus! Kidding aside, I do at times practice out of air conditions by using the power inflator and BCD as an alternate air source, because I forgot the octopus. Works very well.

Dive Safe (I think?)

Back
Top Bottom